bird listening device speaker - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th July 2014, 11:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default bird listening device speaker

I have a bird listening device with headphones. I want to put a speaker on the device instead of head phones, but I can only find 8 or 4ohm speakers. Assuming that head phones are about 34ohm impedance, how do I design a matching network for my project? If I put a 30ohm resistor in series with the 4ohm speaker, my guess is that Iíll probably ruin the output amp on the bird listening device and I would have to buy another one. Got any suggestions?
356mag
Old 25th July 2014, 12:08 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

No putting a resistor in series will not damage your amp. But you will have very little output from the speaker. They do make speakers in the 30 ohm catagory but again your device will probably not have nearly enough power for them. And you may also run into the problem of feedback.
Old 25th July 2014, 01:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Best bet is to add an amplifier. The headphone output will likely run the "line in" on any reasonable integrated amp or receiver.
Old 25th July 2014, 02:26 AM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Doesn't make any sense in terms of a portable device.

You clearly can't go round miking up bird song and playing
it back through a speaker without feedback issues at high
loop gain, and your speaker interfering with the very
thing your trying to monitor naturally in the first place.

Playback of recordings through speakers is trivial.

rgds, sreten.

Hide this!Advertise here!