Hello from Michigan and a question already! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2014, 04:47 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hello from Michigan and a question already!

Hi all,

Looks like I'm the first member from michigan to join in a while

I'm getting married next month and my girl and I have found a house to rent.

Its got a basement. And that basement is mine.

Currently I've got an old 720p Marantz projector and a pieced together off the shelf audio rig.

Pioneer 7.1 receiver, sony sub, klipsch speakers.

One day I'll update the projector, but first I'd like to invest in better audio... and since I enjoy projects, some DIY speakers looked like fun.

If I move the surround sound system I have upstairs to the living room, and start over from scratch for audio in the Basement Theater, what kind of direction should I go? I don't mind a medium length project on the weekends and spending maybe $2k over the course of a few months... what can you guys tell me to look at? I see lots of guides for building speakers and amps and subs, but I don't have a good grasp of everything I need.

I figure I'll stick with an off the shelf receiver, but depending on the speakers I build, do I need amps besides that? Do I need to buy an EQ? Can I actually get better sound DIY for $2k then off the shelf?

I do plan on treating the room for acoustics with paneling and such.

Any advice anyone can give is appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 23rd July 2014, 04:52 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials.

How big is the listening room?
How loud do you like it?
What part of the spectrum appeals most to you? ie: bass heavy, crystal clear vocals, scintillating highs etc.
What speakers have you heard that you like?
Old 23rd July 2014, 05:01 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Cal, I was born in Vancouver but haven't been back there yet... Want to visit badly though

I don't have exact measurements yet but the basement room is about 16 x 10.

I like my action movies very loud... I'm not a huge music guy so its more about being immersed as opposed to having a particular taste. I like to feel the bass, but I really like crisp highs when watching movies... sci fi lasers and sound effects, etc.

I haven't heard a lot of speakers outside of the big box stores... maybe you can make some suggestions I can listen to?

Thanks!
Old 23rd July 2014, 05:05 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi and welcome. I wouldn't buy a "receiver" which means tuner + amplifier(s) in the same case. Differentiating is better. Also I wouldn't think of equalizers.
Usually, an integrated amp is what people intended as the amplifier. Indeed it is preamplifier and amplifier in the same case, optimized.
The best would be to have all the components separated, at least the basic composition is ( for electronics ) : phono preamplifier if you've got a turntable; preamplifier; amplifier. In this way you can swap components if you think one has issues ( whatever ). Having separated preamplifier-amplifier allows you to change power and not the low voltage stage.
However, in the end, you'll find yourself more comfortable with an integarted old-style amp

Having said that, and bearing in mind that the electronics play a very little role in sound reproduction, you can focus better on speakers.
I would say 3 way with the woofer not bigger than 6 1/2 "
Old 23rd July 2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Oh gosh, where do you start? It's like saying I need a car that runs well in the city but I need it for the highway sometimes too. It's too large a category to even begin naming. I am wondering if at this stage you might want to consider a kit. It means all the tough stuff is done for you and that you build the boxes, hence the DIY. How large can they be?
Old 23rd July 2014, 05:12 PM   #6
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by picowallspeaker View Post
I would say 3 way with the woofer not bigger than 6 1/2 "
Wow, that is so opposite what I was thinking. If he wants a separate woofer and surround system then ok, otherwise, I would suggest a pair of 3 way with a woofer around a 12" for a room that size. I don't use surround so that's strictly my thought.
Old 23rd July 2014, 05:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

That's how we use to say :
little barrel, good wine

BUT if the intent is not listening to music only, I dunno !
Old 23rd July 2014, 05:20 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to diyAudio.

Whatever you build, i'd recommend starting with an already well worked out design. Start by browsing the forums and see what appeals.

If we ignore the cost of tools, and that most people don't stop after the 1st pair, yes it is VERY possible to diy something way better for the same money you would pay for store-bought kit.

If movies are your thing, you will need some decent subwoofers ... not just 1.

dave
Old 23rd July 2014, 05:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the thoughts guys. One reason I was going for an off the shelf "receiver" was to get surround (dolby/dts)... what would be an alternative if this is not ideal?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Old 23rd July 2014, 05:36 PM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfreakburg View Post
One reason I was going for an off the shelf "receiver" was to get surround (dolby/dts)... what would be an alternative if this is not ideal?
It is a reasonable solution unless you have a much bigger budget. HT receivers are getting much better, but they rarely reach the quality of good separates.

You will need to buy amps for the subs.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!