Newb DIYer looking to build some quality sound for myself. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th July 2014, 07:43 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Nice, your woodworking skills will definitely come in handy. I'm more of a woodworker out of necessity, and no where near professional. You will find that the brain and the ear work together in wondrous ways. If you make an amps enclosure look really good, i can almost guarantee your brain will process it as sounding better than the unfinished boards lying on a piece of cardboard.

If i were you, i'd start with a dead simple SS(solid-state, i.e no tubes) amp, just to get your feet wet, and have something to compare with your Denon and later your first tube amp. The SS Amp presents a much smaller initial outlay as well, and you'll get to fabricate a nice chassis which i'm looking forward to seeing!

If i were just starting out, i'd probably build this:

Cubie - small F5 variant with GR grade JFETs and LatFETs

In my experience speakers can sound much better than one thinks, when other upgrades other parts in the chain.
Old 20th July 2014, 03:11 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks for the ideas...

I honestly still think I want to build a tube amp first. I have had opportunity to see and hear a couple DIY tube amps now and they sound fantastic. Cannot wait to start building this. I am still up in the air about my main speakers I intend to build. Have now heard some amazing speakers with 16 drivers per side and an excellent three way design. Still would like to hear a full range horn alongside some kinda nice subwoofer to round out the bottom end. I am open to about anything but the more I hear the more I am finding that I am someone who likes the bass a bit more than most. Not that I have to rattle the walls but I definitely like to feel the excitement of a powerful solid bass. This may be a problem and will undoubtedly require me to bi or even tri amp my system. I dunno what I will end up with but I am right now enjoying seeing and hearing some different options. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Peace

Pete

Hide this!Advertise here!