Introduction from the Seattle Area

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings,

I discovered DIY Audio while researching designs for tube-based instrument amplifiers. The community here seems to be quite knowledgeable and helpful on a wide range of topics.

I've been a tinkerer and engineer as long as I can remember. My first DIY electronic project was a Heathkit receiver and servo kit for a radio-controlled airplane. Prior to that, I had shocked myself more than once while taking electric alarm clocks apart to alter the sound of the alarm. My first audio project was building a Hafler DH-220 in the summer of 1982, between my Sophomore and Junior years at MIT. I still have that amp in pristine condition. (More on that later...) That was followed by a DH-110 which was later modified with a Musical Concepts kit.

The sound of vacuum tubes has been with me from an early age as well. I used to go to sleep to the sound of an old AM radio in a Bakelite case that was my Mom's when she was young. Sometime during middle school, a friend of my Dad gave me a Dynakit ST-70, which I also still have, though now modified with a new driver board and power supply from Triode Electronics.

After spending 26 years designing graphics cards and Ultrasound systems, including custom mixed-signal ICs, I find myself returning to good ol' tubes. While I dabble in Bass guitar, I'm always looking for ways to experiment with getting different tone from my instrument. My first project is inspired by the Alembic / Fender Blackface preamps, with some tweaks thrown in as much for experimentation & education as anything else.

I'm looking forward to participating in future discussions, as I have much to learn regarding practical applications of high-voltage thermionic devices.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.