New Member joining from South Africa

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After lurking for a while I decided I may as well join:wave:

I am located in Johannesburg and in my 40's -- as a day job I am involved with Aeronautical Avionic tech support, so not so much design but figuring out what's broken.

I have been involved in Music for longer than I care to remember and as part of this built PA for bands etc - one of the more adventerous amps received the nickname of 'the pram' as it was so heavy it needed wheels to cart it around - basically a 10 channel amp in one unit incorporating active crossover and bridged outputs - it worked:). Also got into Speaker Cab building and did a version of the EV T-18 that we still use today.

Another project that ended up being sold commercially for a while was a MIDI to LIGHT converter - so this involved using a PIC uC and Solid State Relays, basically the user could pre-program a light show to their midi track or indeed use a dedicated controller running midi -- that was in 1993, since then there are other protocols being used and the unit lost its appeal - and I got busy with the day job.

I now also run a small recording studio (basically to record my band 'cos we couldn't land a deal elsewhere), hence the TalismanAudio user name, so have started looking into building some gear for that environment - so far some Compressors and Limiters based on the THAT chips and right now a reference amp for the Control Room monitors.
The amp design itself is pretty old and uses Lateral Mosfets in Class AB - I guess a bit old school but that's what I am - actually it was intended as a Sound Reinforcement amp and as part of that I was using a THAT based VCA in the protection cct - where if temp rises then the amp would receive less drive until shut down and it aslo gave a soft ramp up if the amp was turned on with full input signal applied. It got a little more complex than that in the end but works a treat - it also added a little mojo 'cos if the Threshold of the Limiter/Comp was set right then it obviously reduced the dynamic range of the input signal giving that slightly more in your face sound.

Glad to be here and always looking to learn something new and offer help where I can - thanks for reading this far:cheerful:

Sean

Thanks for the welcome,

Old Tele Man - I play organs,EPs and Harmonica for a Blues Rock outfit. From the Tele in your moniker I would expect a Blues Country leaning for you? Our Gtr man uses a '63 Strat into a BluesBreaker, sometimes the Dr Z comes out to play but it is rather loud when he eventually gets the tone right!!

Jaimo - thank you, I saw there were a few South Africans on the Forums

Sean

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.