Newbie From Canada

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI There,

Newbie from Ontario Canada looking for info and also wondering if there any DIYers within driving range either here in Ont. or possibly the Detroit-Port Huron area of MI., USA

This winter I would like to start my 1st speaker project. Everyone wants a great sounding speaker but I also enjoy unusual looking speakers rather then just a rectangular box. Browsing photo galleries some projects really stand out. Since this would be my first build I would want something simple like a single driver full range or an open baffle. I don't want to get into multiple drivers yet unless someone has the plans ready with what crossover to buy etc.

My question therefore is does one choose a specific driver first then try to get cabinetry plans based on the drivers specs or do you choose a type of cabinet and find the driver to match?

Then I would ask, based on a certain budget are some designs inherently better on the performance for dollar scale? An example would be for $500 would I be able to build a speaker that sounds better with a backloaded horn or open baffle or simple 2-way. I realize that there are many variables but generally speaking.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi folkie,

Welcome to diyAudio.

I think you'll want to take your questions over to the the speaker sections for a better response. Depending on your needs, there are lots of choices in both the FR and multiway categories that can be had in kit form. Some are available in flat packs that you asssemble yourself.

Good luck with it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.