Dutch hello

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello from Culemborg, Holland
After lurking for some time, I now think the time has come to stop hiding :)

After school I joined R&D dept. of a company that built portable calibration equipment. Over the years I moved from electronics to software, and now I'm a freelance software engineer.

My objective is to build a digital jukebox, i'm a little fed up with changing discs all the time.
Currently I think it should consist of 3 parts:
1: transmitter
- datastore (only wav's, currently about 300GB)
- control application that transmits those wav's & exposes a webinterface to select tracks etc.
2: receiver
- processor pcb that receives these wav's and buffers them
- buffered output is then sent to...
3: dac
- based on cs43122 or similar
- balanced & unbalanced outputs
- since I have a sony sacd, pioneer dvd & tascam dat recorder -which all can be improved- the dac should have multiple inputs :)

Peter Vervoorn

Welcome to the forum Peter :)

I am also doing something similar.
My music store is a spare 120GB on my server. It's W2K at present, but I've been playing with BeOS. All files are in WAV format. I don't care for lossy formats.
My first receiver is a Mini ITX PC which I want to eventually network-boot, probably with BeOS or Linux. I want no moving parts ie fans & drives.
I am currently building a NonOS DAC, 44.1 & 48K only.

I'll be interested in your ideas for a receiver...

Hi John,

We have a very similar setup.
My wav's are stored on a w2k server.
The board I'm using is also a mini-itx (the M10000) with 256 MB ram and a 2.5" HDD.
Currently it runs Windows XP.
The 1GHz M10000 should be powerful enough to experiment with interpolation later on.

What I have in mind is a system where you have the server transmitting the data over UDP and the receiver picks this up and uses a big circular buffer (i.e. 16MB) to store the data.
If there is less than say 70% of data it will send a request for another block of data to the server (again using UDP)
The difficult part will be getting the data from the receiver to the dac.

Peter Vervoorn

My data is sent round an SMB network using TCP/IP with 100BaseT. I've also tried Wireless G at 54Mbs and at 11Mbs. They have given faultless results.
The mini-itx I chose was just the VIA EPIA 5000. It's got 256MB ram. It works with W2K and iTunes OK at present (still testing). But I really want the database to reside on the server.
Buffering seems to happen within the system.
Have never noticed any breakup listening remotely. Unlike local play on the server!
I do not have enough software knowledge to provide buffering at the server in W2K. It seems that the further down the directory nest the wav resides, the greater it's chance of breakup.
This is why I currently favour BeOS or Linux, which both seem to work faultlessly, locally and remotely.

Originally posted by Vigier
Hoi Peter,

welkom op het forum.... zeg, even een vraag: jij hebt toch niet per ongeluk voor een bedrijf in Vianen gewerkt en in een felgele Lancia gereden?

Hey Joris,

Per ongeluk heb ik dat wel gedaan, maar nu heb ik een sneller vervoermiddel (Aprilia RSV Mille) :)

For the (few :)) people that can't read Dutch;
Joris recognized my name and asked if I was a co-worker who drove a Lancia. (I'm guilty as charged.)

Groeten / cheers

Peter

Hi Peter (this time I'll do it in English),

The Aprilia RSV Mille is indeed way better than the Lancia... you remember the black Alfa 146? I changed it for a 156... (not as fast as a RSV, but better than the 146 :)

I don't think you will see me in the same threads as you, but I will follow your project... seems very interesting! (I spend my time building speakers and amplifiers)

Grtz, Joris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.