Introduction - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2013, 02:59 PM   #1
bandbox is offline bandbox  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Introduction

Hi Guys
Here is a short resume of my life and interests. I left school and was apprenticed into the auto industry as a mechanic, on completion I was called up to do my national service in the RAF, picked up a love of aircraft and when demobbed applied successfully for a job in the aircraft industry and remained for the rest of my working life, although I was forced to move about a bit due to the politics of the day,(redundancies).I raced motorbikes for a while until the money ran out, then started building cars at which I was quite good. A serious back injury that still gives trouble stopped all that so I paid more attention to musical interests singing etc. and after making lots of mistakes buying crap high street Low Fi started on a voyage of discovery and I am still learning about the best manner of reproducing music as naturally as possible. By a mixture of judicious purchases, swops and home builds I have arrived at a system that will probably see me out the crowning glory (in my eyes at least ) is a turntable that I designed and built myself, starting from bits salvaged from a badly damaged Michell unit. I have always considered that when someone puts their decks on any form of support they have in essence altered the design, so I started with a sand box supported on sorbathane feet with a slate platform on which there is a a 70mm thick granite base also on sorbathane feet, above that is a 25 mm acrylic pedestal which carries the main bearing, platter and arm pad the drive motor is standard 240volt standing remote in a freestanding granite pillar and controlled by a voltage and cycles monitoring unit. The arm is the Terminator air bearing supported parallel tracking arm, thence into a Dynavector DV-XX2MKII cart and then into Silvercore MC step up unit. The sound this makes is great, one has to hear it before making judgement , its the best I have heard, But of course I would say that its my baby. I wont bore you with any further details of my system save to say its valve based and fires up a pair of 40 year old Tannoy Cheviots DC. That's about all guys.
Regards
Bandbox
Old 13th August 2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I've started you off on a new thread

Welcome to diyAudio.
Old 13th August 2013, 03:42 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome aboard.
Old 14th August 2013, 09:15 AM   #4