New here, Hello from Florida - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2013, 07:49 PM   #1
Samfi is offline Samfi  United States
diyAudio Member

Default New here, Hello from Florida

I am finally fed up with overpriced speakers and systems that put me on the hamster wheel. I am coming here with the will to throw some time and effort into making speakers, crossovers, preamps and all manner of things. Even if it takes a decade.

I could use all the help getting started that I can. Someone explain to me where to start? I was looking at an OB two-way in the under $500 range to build.
I have access to a tool shop through a friend of a friend, I will be doing this in my spare time as a student and waiter. I am extremely smart and tech friendly and have never built anything with my hands beyond legos . But I have a drive and desire to become proficient in all things technical from working on my car to building and studying sound and speakers.

This is my little intro, come say hi
Sam
Old 18th March 2013, 08:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Where in FL? I am in Tampa (at least when I attend USF!) ... You have come to a good place for DIY. I don't aspire to such lofty heights (look at my posts if you dare!) I would love to read about...and perhaps hear in person...your builds. IMHO your efforts to build a good speaker will be much more rewarding (and easier) than trying to build something electronic. Perhaps you fall into the trap (?) of thinking that certain electronics, the more exotic the better, or that you can build a better circuit than a team of Japanese or Chinese engineers, if so, have at it and good luck! But it is much easier, given access to a wood shop (?) to make DIY speakers since the retail thing is a box of very expensive air
Old 18th March 2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hello Sam, welcome aboard. I would take this to the multiway forum and start asking questions. You probably get a nice high Q PA driver and match it with a FR in an OB in that price range. Seems to be popular. Do a search and get some ideas.
Old 18th March 2013, 10:44 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to the forum Sam.

A nice OB within your budget could be done with a FR + helper woofer. Something akin to Martin Kings passive OB.

dave
Old 18th March 2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Pano is online now Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to forum! Good to have more Floridians aboard.
Old 20th March 2013, 12:06 AM   #6
Samfi is offline Samfi  United States
diyAudio Member

That sounds good, I'll go lurk around the Multiway board - I have a lot of reading to do before I get started on anything. I'm located on the NE Florida area.

Thanks guys,
Sam

Hide this!Advertise here!