New here, Hello from Florida

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am finally fed up with overpriced speakers and systems that put me on the hamster wheel. I am coming here with the will to throw some time and effort into making speakers, crossovers, preamps and all manner of things. Even if it takes a decade.

I could use all the help getting started that I can. Someone explain to me where to start? I was looking at an OB two-way in the under $500 range to build.
I have access to a tool shop through a friend of a friend, I will be doing this in my spare time as a student and waiter. I am extremely smart and tech friendly and have never built anything with my hands beyond legos :D. But I have a drive and desire to become proficient in all things technical from working on my car to building and studying sound and speakers.

This is my little intro, come say hi :)
Sam

Where in FL? I am in Tampa (at least when I attend USF!) ... You have come to a good place for DIY. I don't aspire to such lofty heights (look at my posts if you dare!) I would love to read about...and perhaps hear in person...your builds. IMHO your efforts to build a good speaker will be much more rewarding (and easier) than trying to build something electronic. Perhaps you fall into the trap (?) of thinking that certain electronics, the more exotic the better, or that you can build a better circuit than a team of Japanese or Chinese engineers, if so, have at it and good luck! But it is much easier, given access to a wood shop (?) to make DIY speakers since the retail thing is a box of very expensive air :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.