Complete noob from Utah

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I joined a couple weeks back searching for information on the JLH 2005 amp and Paul Carmody's OS bookshelf speakers. So far the site has been a wealth of information and I'm already 3 projects deep being a chinese tube preamp, the JLH, and now LazyCat's VSSA.

I'm very excited to learn more about audio,which I've never understood but which I gained an immense appreciation for when I got my first 'real' subjective listening setup consisting of Foobar2000 -> Titanium HD w/ LME49990 -> LittleDot MkII -> Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro 250Ohms. But that was the tip of the iceberg and I began to seek speakers and amps that would give me that full sound and wide soundstage without distinct point sources. This lead me to searching for a budget setup (because poor college student with a condo) and I found myself the owner of a Lepai 2020A+ and a pair of Dayton B-652s. Part of my nature os tweaking everything, so the Lepai was run stock for a solid 5 minutes before I bypassed the input stage with some 2.2uf poly caps, rewired the volume pot, put in new, shielded inductors, redid the zobel network, wired up a 5A PSU etc. etc. The Daytons got their own set of mods too.

Of course, I still wasn't satisfied, so I began to piece together one of those 6N3 tube preamps from China hoping to add a little warmth to the sound since the Dayton's highs are rather harsh and the tubes in my LDMkII are significantly more expensive than JAN 5670s and a single 6XW4. But still, the daytons bug me. So I ended up here, ordered up all the parts for a JLH 2005 amp (minus the psu, I kind of want to use an SMPS), and am still trying to decide between the Overnight Sensations or The Hitmakers, since I have zero woodworking tools so flat pak cabs were a requirement. Once I read up on LazyCats VSSA I suddenly realized that my living space didn't contain any tower speakers or a main room hifi system. Enter plans to construct TriTrix MTMs and an Objective DAC!

As you can see, I have a problem, one which I hope we all share. Anyway, enough of my excitement and I'll get back to reading and planning.:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.