Complete noob from Utah - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2013, 02:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Complete noob from Utah

Hi, I joined a couple weeks back searching for information on the JLH 2005 amp and Paul Carmody's OS bookshelf speakers. So far the site has been a wealth of information and I'm already 3 projects deep being a chinese tube preamp, the JLH, and now LazyCat's VSSA.

I'm very excited to learn more about audio,which I've never understood but which I gained an immense appreciation for when I got my first 'real' subjective listening setup consisting of Foobar2000 -> Titanium HD w/ LME49990 -> LittleDot MkII -> Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro 250Ohms. But that was the tip of the iceberg and I began to seek speakers and amps that would give me that full sound and wide soundstage without distinct point sources. This lead me to searching for a budget setup (because poor college student with a condo) and I found myself the owner of a Lepai 2020A+ and a pair of Dayton B-652s. Part of my nature os tweaking everything, so the Lepai was run stock for a solid 5 minutes before I bypassed the input stage with some 2.2uf poly caps, rewired the volume pot, put in new, shielded inductors, redid the zobel network, wired up a 5A PSU etc. etc. The Daytons got their own set of mods too.

Of course, I still wasn't satisfied, so I began to piece together one of those 6N3 tube preamps from China hoping to add a little warmth to the sound since the Dayton's highs are rather harsh and the tubes in my LDMkII are significantly more expensive than JAN 5670s and a single 6XW4. But still, the daytons bug me. So I ended up here, ordered up all the parts for a JLH 2005 amp (minus the psu, I kind of want to use an SMPS), and am still trying to decide between the Overnight Sensations or The Hitmakers, since I have zero woodworking tools so flat pak cabs were a requirement. Once I read up on LazyCats VSSA I suddenly realized that my living space didn't contain any tower speakers or a main room hifi system. Enter plans to construct TriTrix MTMs and an Objective DAC!

As you can see, I have a problem, one which I hope we all share. Anyway, enough of my excitement and I'll get back to reading and planning.
Old 5th March 2013, 02:19 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hello MK,

Sorry to hear of your addiction but know that you are in good company here, so if you ever feel the need to talk, we're here for ya.

Hide this!Advertise here!