Greetings from Los Angeles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey there, I have been lurking around the forums for about a week. My primary interest here is to get some knowledge on DIY speaker building. Also, I have some older equipment that I may or may not be keeping. I bought all the stuff off of Ebay and I don't really have any idea how well it is matched. So I'll be looking forward to getting some input from the rest of the community. Thanks for reading

Hey Orbit,

I'm in LA also, out at the beach in San Pedro.

It's good to know someone else is around town. I building new speaker cabinets for my Hammer Dynamics Super-12 kit right now and am also looking at putting together the DDDAC and Tube-buffered Gainclones.

Lots of ideas, little time, and even less money. Oh well.

My present set up

The stuff I have now is:

Amp NAD 2400THX
PreAmp Adcom GFP-555
CD Player Adcom GDC - 600
DA Converter Adcom GDA - 600
Speakers ADS - 810

We'll be remodeling in the near future, so this stuff will have to go into storage for a while. I might just sell the system and start again after the dust settles. All the stuff has a few yeras on it, and I'm sure I can find a better system. I'm here to learn from others.

Hi guys,
I am over on the westside, live in Brentwood.

Dark,
for a while, I was thinking about building those Hammer dynamics speakers. I ended up not to do it, because I thought their WAF would be too low. But, I would be really curious to see what you think, one you get them put together.

I have a "normal" IGC that I am pretty happy with, finished it a month or two ago. One of my next projects is to build a NIGC, using Peter's new recipe.

Randy

Hey Randy

I've got a raw mdf version of the Super-12's built with all the cabinet tweaks from the Full Range Forum. I still need to upgrade all the crossover components and tweeters to the new Fostex FT-17H, but it they are already damn good. I mean really good.

I need to upgrade the rest of my system before I can make any bold statements. So, first up is a tube-buffered NIGC. I've already got the LM3785's sitting here and just need to collect the other parts. I'm going to run my completely off batteries like roncla. Possibly substituting the 6GM8 (12v) for the 6922.

Anyway, the DDDAC (battery powered) is also on the map.

The only thing holding me back is money, of course.

BTW, I used to live in Brentwood 5 years ago on Darlington & Westgate. Before that I lived on the Venice boardwalk for a long time and on 4th street in Santa Monica. I love the Westside, there's just too many great places to eat.

In fact, I was just up on Wilshire last night drinking a few beers & dinner at O'Brien's last night.

Hi Dark,

Cool. I read lots of good things about those HD speakers, if they weren't so big I might have gone for them.

I am also planning to run my next set of GC's from batteries. Not doing the tube thing though. Allelectronics has pretty good prices on SLA batteries, I might go there, if I can't find a better deal on the net.

Rest of my current system is a modded SA14, a TVC preamp using SB tx102 transformers, my GC and a set of Taylo reference monitors.

I am currently working on the PS section of the 14, and will try a transformer output on it. I am also building a preamp based on a simple FET circuit, using a Rcore and jung regulator for power. It should be pretty good. Also want to build an NIGC. Problem is not enough time for all this stuff.

BTW, I think I know where Darlington and Westgate is. I work around Bundy and Olympic, and live up in the hills, off of Westridge, if you know where that is. It's off on Mandeville canyon.

Randy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.