Music Lover from Tennessee USA - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2013, 11:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Music Lover from Tennessee USA

Hi,

Recently I've gotten into listening to music more and am now wanting to improve my system a little bit with a few inexpensive upgrades or tweaks.

This is my current system :

Yamaha HTR 5940 receiver
Denon DP 30L turntable
JVC XL V261 single well CD player on a "sand box" isolation base
Boston Acoustic CR8 speakers on Spica steel sand filled stands
Good quality cables and interconnects I got at audioadvisor.com

I'm going to get a better CD player, maybe a vintage Denon DCD 1290, 1500 or a Rotel RCD 855. They seem to be a very good bang for your buck CD drive with awesome sound. Any other good CD players for maybe $100 or so that you know of? I'm looking at them on eBay.

I think I should get a new cartridge for my TT. The one in it now was in my NAD TT and is at least 20 years old. I think it's a Shure. It still sounds nice and will blow the doors off the CD player in frequency response. I'm interested in a Shure cartridge on amazon for about $100. Any other suggestions for one in this price range? I like rock music mostly but I sold off 500 of my 650 records a year or two ago. I now have 200-300 CDs.

Was listening to Chicago's "It Better End Soon" today on vinyl and the brass just blew my mind. Gotta love that vinyl sound, wow. Lately I've really loved listening to the Alan Parsons Project on CD : Ammonia Avenue, Sterotomy, Eve, Turn of a Friendly Card, Pyramid, and just about anything by them. Their music satisfies me like a good cigarette satisfied me 30 years ago.

Lukey
Old 11th January 2013, 11:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to diyAudio.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 12th January 2013, 03:17 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks.

My first decent system was a Sherwood S7900a with 65 WRMS, Rectillinear 3 speakers, an Akai GXC 46D top loading cassette deck, and a Benjamin Miracord 750h belt drive TT.

A couple years later I got a hold of a Pioneer SX1010 receiver that had 100 WRMS. In the 90s I got some NAD stuff, an Integrated amp and a 214 amp.
Old 12th January 2013, 09:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Welcome Lukey
Old 13th January 2013, 04:29 AM   #5
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Welcome Lukey!

nice sounding system, looks like you are well on your way!

best take your actual enquiry to the forum, you wont see much traffic here and you wont get many people replying in here, even if they know the answers just because its not really a discussion area.

may I suggest however that you use the search feature first, before starting a thread, that is if you have an idea where you want to start =)

good luck!

you soon will be assimilated!
Old 13th January 2013, 11:08 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I'm reading some older posts.

Last edited by Lukey 51; 13th January 2013 at 11:31 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!