I can't be the only one

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings.

What did you want to start building?

Speakers...Full Range, Two way, Three Way, ESL, Planar
Subwoofer
Amplifiers...Tube, Discrete, Hybrid, Chip amp, Class A, AB, D or other
Dac's

So many choices...lots of design for each here.

Have fun.

I have wall mount speakers with 6" mids and tweeters. They are all mounted and wired to a central spot in the room. I am planning on buying a sub to round out the sound. I started looking at receivers but I ran into difficulties connecting all the different components (satallite radio, internet radio, mp3s) to it. I am also concerned about sound quality. I've had bad luck connecting devices through a small headphone jack. What is that 5mm? It ends up sounding like crap. I'm in construction so I can build just about anything but I've never worked with electronics like this, obviously. I cant be the only one with this issue especially in this age where everything is digital. My first thought was to purchase an inexpensive laptop and hook it into the receiver but I'm not sure how to connect them. What input will I need to make sure the reciever has before I buy it? Do I need to buy a laptop if I want Pandora and all my mp3s? If I use a receiver, the satallite radio is a no brainer but if I don't need a receiver, what should I use to amp the sound?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you want a central point for your digital music, the Sonos is the easiest way to go. There are less expensive ways, but they will need some work on your part. Sonos is so easy, even my sister can do it. :D (And she loves controlling it from her iPhone)

The Sonos system is nice but it looks like it lacks the range and flexibilty as compared to a laptop and receiver (for about the same price). It looks like my best option so far is to purchase a refurbished laptop with a HDMI out and connect it to an AV receiver. I should be able to get all this done for about $500. Any other suggestions out there?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.