Hello Everyone, Former Sony Factory Tech Here - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2012, 02:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hello Everyone, Former Sony Factory Tech Here

Hello, I just joined here and Tapeheads, AudioKarma to say hello and see if I can help out anyone with their Sony repair issues. I worked for a Sony Factory Service Center from 1983 -1999 as an Audio Lead Tech. I don't remember a lot of things now, since it's been quite a few years gone by, but if there's something you would like to ask, I'll try to help out when I can. Don't expect too much from my aging memory and I'll give it a shot!

I worked mainly on Car Stereo, Walkman, Cordless Phones, Cassette Decks, Receivers, Turntables, and CD Players. No esoteric stuff (I was in Consumer Audio repair) so I can't help you with the Pro Line stuff.

I'm not a "tweaker" and I'm not into memorizing specs, we had a production quota we had to meet and I didn't have the luxury of time to spend checking out the units closely...it was just fix it, and get it out the door. Faster, faster, faster. Since I left Sony, I only repair my own and friend's equipment generally, but if you need help and live in the Southern California area, I might be able to help you out. I still have all my test tapes (cassette, reel, MD, DAT) including torque/tension tapes, and also Test CD's of various types that are all no longer available. If I can help you out, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Anyway, hello and I'm looking forward to some interesting conversations!
Old 13th December 2012, 02:31 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hi SonyTek,
Welcome to the forum!
Old 13th December 2012, 02:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes welcome! With open arms!

Last edited by freax; 13th December 2012 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Add more santas
Old 13th December 2012, 02:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much! Nice to meet you and look forward to sharing what I can.
Old 13th December 2012, 12:51 PM   #5
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to diyAudio

I've been on a few Sony courses in years gone by, CD and Minidisc particularly come to mind. Loved the CDP101 and D50MK1 I had and tucked away in a cupboard is a mint WM6-DC

Service deptartments have always been the same... the necessary evil behind the glossy shop fronts... and turnaround the priority.
Old 13th December 2012, 12:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Welcome Buddy
Old 14th December 2012, 11:56 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Welcome to the forum, sonytek
Old 10th April 2013, 01:40 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Sonytec. You may be just who I'm looking for. I just picked up a sony tc780 reel to reel. I bought it for a parts machine and because I've never had this model before. It is in pretty bad looking condition, but actually it wants to work. It came with a service manual, but mostly unreadable schematics (bad copy). I've been looking high and low for an user's manual, but looks like none are available...anywhere. Maybe you can bell me what some of the functions for this deck are? (1) there a button marked "ESS START"...don't know what ess is or what this button is for. (2) "ESP", what does that stand for? I think it has to do with auto reverse and getting a signal from the tape? I think I remember another model having that and also having a button that would put a signal on the tape instead of using "sense tape" for auto reverse. Does any of that ring a bell? I don't know if this one will ever be restored, but I think it must have been a pretty hign end deck when new. It has some big problems; won't play in reverse (starts in rev and then goes back to fwd play), hums in rev modes. Needs torque adjusted for supply reel. Someone really treated it bad: bent up front top cover, lost screws etc. Surprisingly wood sides look pretty good. Anyway, do you have any info on this deck? Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!