Hi all. 45yo Newbie - Exploring the world of DIY Audio - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd November 2012, 04:39 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Hi all. 45yo Newbie - Exploring the world of DIY Audio

Hi everyone,

I'm new here but have been a 'lurker' for a while now. I have an extensive background in computers/networking but zero in the world of audio, other than a failed attempt at a Heathkit radio about 35 years ago.

I've been interested in vintage audio for a long time and have acquired a few pieces that I enjoy. I recently began looking for a stereo tube amp only to be literally stunned at the prices. I then stumbled across this site, found that people had built their own tube amps and I spent several days reading about them. I think I'm hooked. What I have gotten myself into now?

Well, we all know how this turns out - new guy, mostly clueless of electronics, wants to build a tube amp........soooo, here we go.

Having no education in electronics, I'm sure I have a lot of learning to do and a apparently a bit of equipment to purchase. A few months ago, I was able to read a schematic for my lawnmower in order to fix a short so I guess that might help but I don't yet know what to do with signal generators or oscilloscopes. At this point, Sine waves and Square waves might as well be ocean waves to me, but I'm sure I'll have no trouble learning.

Regardless, we all started somewhere, so in my journey towards tube-amp-bliss, I promise to try to contribute as much as possible so I don't wear out my welcome.

Last edited by SoundSleuth; 23rd November 2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 23rd November 2012, 04:58 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

What area do you live in? It's often helpful to find a more experienced builder locally who has basic test equipment and is willing to do some hand-holding. Especially true with tube gear where the voltages can be pretty dangerous.

You did find the right forum, though- there's quite a few experienced and knowledgeable tube equipment designers. Welcome!
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Location: Barrio Garay,Almirante Brown, Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hi guy. Be careful: this site is addictive!
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:15 PM   #4
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to the forum!
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hi SS, welcome aboard.
Old 23rd November 2012, 06:51 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi all. Thanks for the welcome. SY, I'm located in the Charlotte area of North Carolina, USA and I've updated my profile with a bit of info.

Hide this!Advertise here!