New member and already have a project in hand. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2012, 05:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New member and already have a project in hand.

Hi new member,

I got referred to here by somebody on a guitar forum.

I have lots of experience working on tube guitar amps. I repair my own stuff. Been playing guitar for 20+ years. I was into tubes when everybody else wanted the latest rackmount solid state setup, and I grew up listening to vinyl. I can remember my dad taking me to the music store and asking to take the album out so he could spin it on a pencil before he took it home.

Well he passed away, but right before he had built a dual mono block system. Its two heathkit wm5 amps, some sort of tube preamp from a kit company, and a pair of totem tower speakers. I didnt like the totems as much as the Klipsch Cornwalls I had so I used the tube amps on those for awhile. Well I got tired of hauling the cornwalls from place to place and they were getting damaged in storage so I sold them. They are at another HiFi fiends house getting pounded by an old Sansui.

So anyway the amps need to be gone through, I have two that were working until one of them smoked out on my brother, and a third one I guess for parts.

I asked on that other forum and they told me to come here for help. I need to check out the power caps first and go from there. But I want to fix them up nice. I also brought home a big pile of tubes, some new some NOS.

I dont really have the time for pics right now, but tonight I plan on putting up a few pics, not so I can boast, just so everybody believes that I actuall have all this stuff.

So I hope to be around for awhile and learn some things about HiFi.

Take it easy
Old 14th October 2012, 06:10 AM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hello and welcome to diyAudio. Make sure you post your questions in the appropriate forum. Here in the Intro section they might just get lost.

Hide this!Advertise here!