Howdy from Austin - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th September 2012, 11:57 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Howdy from Austin

Hello all,

I've been a lurker for some time now, and i finally decided to join. I started in the hifi hobby a couple of years ago after hearing to the big difference that there was between the my crappy ipod earbuds and my then new sennheiser px100.

those headphones made me build a couple of headphone amps ( a cmoy and a YAHA), that thanks to my then starving student budget never got the case work they deserved.

so when I finally had some money ( after college of course) I build my first proper system, for that one I built an elekit TU 879s.

So far that's my experience with the diy audio hobby, but I'm looking forward to what the future might bring . such as the NAD 3020 that I'm trying to recap right now

greetings from Austin

Francisco
Old 1st October 2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to the forum, you'll like it here. There are several other Austinites here.
Old 1st October 2012, 12:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Welcome to the Forums Francisco......What did you wind up taking in College?
Hope you don't have a school "Tab" to pay-off.....
Our 'hobby' here can drain finances.....so much so that GFs'/Wives can get really bent sometimes.
Feel free to ask questions, regardless of how "crazy, silly, stupid they may seem....OK?

__________________________________________________ ___Rick.........
Old 1st October 2012, 01:45 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

thanks guys...

Rick, thanks to a scholarship I've no bills to pay from college... yes I know that the checking account can take some serious hits but is pretty much the same with every cool hobby out there. up's i forgot to say one of the main reasons why I want to get involved in the DIY side of this hobby is to finally make some good use ( work isn't a good use in my book) of my Eng. degree in mechatronics ( if that doesn't ring a bell just think of robots )
Old 1st October 2012, 03:02 AM   #5
sonidos is offline sonidos  United States
Libertador de la Música
diyAudio Member

can this forum really handle two crazy mexicans? We'll see!

Welcome aboard. I live wayyyyyy north in Round Rock. I'll keep you posted if I meet up with some diy'ers in town and you may want to join us.

SY was good about house concerts and getting some of us to meet, but circumstances sent him packing to Chi-town! We'll forge on as time permits.
Old 1st October 2012, 03:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Welcome on board. I can tell you this much about being active -- you'll have a good time contributing to the knowledge and opinion base here, you'll run into some very smart people here, and you'll be inspired to add just one more audio project to your list...

Which begs the question, other than the current recapping... What is your next project or next projects (I came here with three in mind and now have six projects under construction) you have lined up? See anything here that inspires you to order boards, components, then even more components, and chassis/case material? This is a good thing.

Well, enjoy the reading and welcome.

Last edited by overtheairbroadcast; 1st October 2012 at 03:42 AM. Reason: spelling.
Old 1st October 2012, 04:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

@sonidos sure just drop me a pm next time you guys plan on getting together and if I'm in town. I'll try my best to join you guys

@overtheairbroadcast well as always with this hobby of finding the best way to play our music collection, I've too many things on the want to do list :'(.

on the diy side after the recap is done I want to give speaker building a try I'm thinking in an open baffle to make company to the NAD after it's done. and then change my system back @home ( in good ol' mexico ) from the tube integrated to a tube pre + solid state amps ( something from the firstwatt family)

I kinda fell sorry for my wallet
Old 1st October 2012, 05:08 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Francisco, Mulling over your NAD specs.......seems a decent amp. Given the somewhat low power output,.....Have you thought of building a high SPL, "Big box" type loudspeaker system....more like a high efficiency 95Db+ system.
A type the NAD amp would "make scream" ????
I just read up on a vintage Cerwin Vega (4 Ohm) that ran at 107 Db...with one Watt!!
Your OB idea......OBs' are not that efficient BTW.

Just an idea??

__________________________________________________ ________Rick........

Last edited by Richard Ellis; 1st October 2012 at 05:09 AM. Reason: typo
Old 1st October 2012, 09:15 AM   #9
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I do miss evenings at Flipnotics and Whip In...
Old 1st October 2012, 02:54 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I'm not set on an speaker project yet. I just now its one of the next things that I want to try to make. OB sounded like a good place to start, thanks to my lack of of woodworking tools for the cabinets and rater limited space in my Workshop/ listening space/ department.

Hide this!Advertise here!