Howdy from Austin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I've been a lurker for some time now, and i finally decided to join. I started in the hifi hobby a couple of years ago after hearing to the big difference that there was between the my crappy ipod earbuds and my then new sennheiser px100.

those headphones made me build a couple of headphone amps ( a cmoy and a YAHA), that thanks to my then starving student budget never got the case work they deserved.

so when I finally had some money ( after college of course) I build my first proper system, for that one I built an elekit TU 879s.

So far that's my experience with the diy audio hobby, but I'm looking forward to what the future might bring :D. such as the NAD 3020 that I'm trying to recap right now

greetings from Austin

Francisco

Welcome to the Forums Francisco......What did you wind up taking in College?
Hope you don't have a school "Tab" to pay-off.....
Our 'hobby' here can drain finances.....so much so that GFs'/Wives can get really bent sometimes.
Feel free to ask questions, regardless of how "crazy, silly, stupid they may seem....OK?

_____________________________________________________Rick.........

thanks guys...

Rick, thanks to a scholarship I've no bills to pay from college... yes I know that the checking account can take some serious hits but is pretty much the same with every cool hobby out there. up's i forgot to say one of the main reasons why I want to get involved in the DIY side of this hobby is to finally make some good use ( work isn't a good use in my book) of my Eng. degree in mechatronics ( if that doesn't ring a bell just think of robots )

Joined 2007
Paid Member
can this forum really handle two crazy mexicans? We'll see! ;)

Welcome aboard. I live wayyyyyy north in Round Rock. I'll keep you posted if I meet up with some diy'ers in town and you may want to join us.

SY was good about house concerts and getting some of us to meet, but circumstances sent him packing to Chi-town! We'll forge on as time permits.

Welcome on board. I can tell you this much about being active -- you'll have a good time contributing to the knowledge and opinion base here, you'll run into some very smart people here, and you'll be inspired to add just one more audio project to your list...

Which begs the question, other than the current recapping... What is your next project or next projects (I came here with three in mind and now have six projects under construction) you have lined up? See anything here that inspires you to order boards, components, then even more components, and chassis/case material? This is a good thing.

Well, enjoy the reading and welcome.

Last edited:
@sonidos sure just drop me a pm next time you guys plan on getting together and if I'm in town. I'll try my best to join you guys

@overtheairbroadcast well as always with this hobby of finding the best way to play our music collection, I've too many things on the want to do list :'(.

on the diy side after the recap is done I want to give speaker building a try I'm thinking in an open baffle to make company to the NAD after it's done. and then change my system back @home ( in good ol' mexico ) from the tube integrated to a tube pre + solid state amps ( something from the firstwatt family)

I kinda fell sorry for my wallet :rolleyes:

Francisco, Mulling over your NAD specs.......seems a decent amp. Given the somewhat low power output,.....Have you thought of building a high SPL, "Big box" type loudspeaker system....more like a high efficiency 95Db+ system.
A type the NAD amp would "make scream" ????
I just read up on a vintage Cerwin Vega (4 Ohm) that ran at 107 Db...with one Watt!!
Your OB idea......OBs' are not that efficient BTW.

Just an idea??

__________________________________________________________Rick........

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.