Hi all and a heads up if I may :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everybody, my name is Russell and just posting this to introduce myself. As the title suggests I am after a pointer or two.

I am interested in having a tinker with DIY audio and was wondering if there are any open source style amps to build.

I can read schematics and build PCB's easily enough but am not particularly interested in re inventing the wheel as far as designing an amp from scratch as I figure there are much smarter people then me (wouldn't take too much, lol) that have already done the hard work.

I think something in the order of 50W per channel would easily cover my needs (for now) and am happy using solid state parts, one day I would like to try a valve amp but one step at a time.

Any advice, tips, links would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Russell.

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hi Russell, and welcome to diyAudio!!

For the simplist amps you could check out the Chipamps forum. Something based on the LM3886 would probably meet your criteria, would be pretty cost effective to build and very good bang for the buck. There are a few vendors of chipamp kits as well.

If you want to be a bit more adventurous, there are plenty of amps in the solid state, or pass labs forums. The diyAudio store has PCB's for a few different amps. There are also group buys for PCB's for some of the other amps discussed here at diyAudio. Certainly plenty of options!!

Tony.

Hi Tony, thanks for the reply, I checked out the Pass Labs section, there is some nice looking stuff there for sure. I have a bit of a motor control background so I am used to driving power devices to saturation to minimalise power dissipation, this running in the linear region is new territory for me, look forward to having a crack at it.

Cheers.

Russell.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.