Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th August 2012, 08:16 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Cool Hello from the Left Coast, California

Hello group,
I am here to improve my knowledge in the area of op-amp based amplifiers, gain clones to be more precise and also active crossovers of the Linkwitz-Riley fourth order type. I am working on a consumer product that will include these components. I have been working in the area of loudspeaker design and also have a patent in waveguide design. I am fairly far along in the design of a desktop loudspeaker, the enclosure design is complete and the mid-bass driver has been completed and tested. I am in the process of design and prototyping of a beryllium dome tweeter to go with the direct radiator as completed. I understand enough about the gain clones and crossovers to get me in trouble and I am attempting not to make to many stupid mistakes in that area. Have read the books by D. Self and B. Cordell along with many papers from the AES. I'll see where I can help with loudspeakers and hope others can help me with the active electronics.

Steven
Old 10th August 2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hello Steven. Welcome to the diyAudio.
Old 10th August 2012, 10:28 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Cal,
Thanks for the welcome. I looked at some of your speaker projects and boy does that bring back memories. I moved many an A7, A2 and A4 in my day and old RCA W-horns that weren't exactly light. I see you must be a real vintage lover and I recognized most everything on your page. I still have a set of Altec Barcelona's in the living room with the 811 horn and 1" driver with the symbiotic diaphragms. I remember those old multi-cell Altec lenses and think I know someone who may still have some of those in storage.... I really liked the old Altec coaxial drives, the 15" model, and I had a pair of the smaller 12" in my car at one time. They weren't near as nice as the 15's though with the better high end driver. I'm surprised that I don't see any old UREI coaxial drivers on your page. Last coaxial drivers I played with were Radian 8" models using the cone as the horn lens. I still have a pair of those in storage somewhere. I look forward to talking to people here on the forum. Now with the things the way they are these days to bad I sold my old Mac tube amps that came out of Disneyland. That is what all the original rides used as amplification in the old days.
Old 10th August 2012, 11:11 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to the forum Steven.

dave
Old 11th August 2012, 12:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the welcome Dave.
I looked at some of your designs and they look interesting and actually attractive to my eye. I have worked a lot with horn and waveguide design and can appreciate the difficulty of making any horn have an audiophile sound and not a PA sound. You can see one of my designs in my avatar.

Steven
Old 11th August 2012, 01:11 AM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

We have a speaker in the works with a waveguided version of the new CSS XBL tweeter & SDX7.

dave
Old 11th August 2012, 06:35 AM   #7
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Hi there Steven and welcome to the forums. Good to have you aboard.
Old 11th August 2012, 06:56 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thank you Mooly.
I see your posts in many different threads I have been looking at. Glad to meet you here on this forum. Getting a little late, almost midnight here but watching the Olympics so I have something going in the background. I hope that I can contribute to the DIY scene, my forte is on the loudspeaker side and that includes waveguide design, from double 18" to 1" compression driver design.

Steven
Old 11th August 2012, 07:18 AM   #9
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

Default welcome

Welcome aboard; good to see someone from CA. You won't see me much around anymore...I just like to sneak in now and again.
Old 11th August 2012, 07:47 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the hello Igreen. From your profile you aren't exactly old so I have to guess that you either got married or have finally become satisfied with your system. I see that you have a great number of designs on your page and they look nice. What do you to in SD? Not that far from L.A. I drive down to Orange County now and then and SD isn't that far. My brother use to ride his bicycle from here to there, he was hardcore on the road bike, I hope I get to pick your brain, more knowledge is always better.

Steven

Hide this!Advertise here!