Greetings from London

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey people.
I'm an electronics student from west London. Finished quite a few projects now, mainly guitar amps and effects, of varying power and complexity. Having a bit of trouble with a current build and this looked to be the place to get some help!

Welcome to the forums Alex...So what project has got you stalled? Please tell me your guitar amps are tube jobs & not SS.

_________________________________________________________Rick..........

Thanks
Moving into making a full tube guitar amp now, have a strange triode --> heptode --> triode, pre amp design that runs into your choice of an EL84/KT88 or a SanKen 2SC/2SA push pull depending on how you set the switches. I saw that another member, Engels, had been working on this http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/97680-heptode-audio-preamp-ech83.html and knew that he or someone he has worked with could defiantly give me a few pushes in the right direction.

I don't mind solid state for Hi-Fi stuff, but have always preferred tube for guitar amps, with the exception of my Line 6 Flextone III XL, (but digital signal processors are a whole different game).

I have had some success in the past by using high frequency op-amps in parallel and wiring that so that controls can be used to voice each channel differently and then blend them back together with a summing amp to form a more flexible solid state guitar pre amp.

Unfortunately dispute taking Electronic A level and now starting an Electronics Eng. degree, little is spoked of vacuum tubes, often dismissed by those who don't understand their potential as "old hat rubbish", "why not use a good DSP?" said they :( Very distressing for someone who wants to go into audio electronics R+D.

Teaching yourself valve based elecy in 2012 isn't the easiest task but I'm sure I'll get there. Found some great manuals and my solid state knowledge helps too. Less so years of working out how to set up CPUs, multiplexers, encoders and decoders and transmissions systems :p

Anyway, I relish the idea of bouncing some brainstorms off you guys!

Alex.....One name, Morgan Jones, Author of four editions regarding Valve amplifiers. He has come out with four books, all devoted towards the individuals intent on handcrafting 'tube' amps, pre-amps, tube powered power supplies & regulators.
I have a well tattered first edition....he just recently came out with the fourth edition. Check your local bookstore......more reading to go along with your current studies.

------------------------------------------------------------Rick.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.