Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2012, 03:26 PM   #1
lu432 is offline lu432  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hello from Sunrise, FL

Hello everyone,

I have been roaming around this forum for about a year now, and I love this forum and I now think its time that I roll up my sleeves and start trying some stuf out. Here is my first challenge. I feel totally overwhelmed and scared of the fact that I might buy some stuff to create my own DIY stuff and completely burn a board. I totally suck at soldering. If I could get over that I'm sure things will get much easier. I do look forward to picking everyone's brain here

I hope to see you all,

Luis
Old 5th July 2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hello and welcome, officially, to diyAudio.
Old 5th July 2012, 04:29 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to the forum Luis.

dave
Old 5th July 2012, 05:08 PM   #4
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lu432 View Post
Hello everyone,

I have been roaming around this forum for about a year now, and I love this forum and I now think its time that I roll up my sleeves and start trying some stuf out.
Hello Luis - and a belated Welcome to diyAudio!!!!

Quote:
Here is my first challenge. I feel totally overwhelmed and scared of the fact that I might buy some stuff to create my own DIY stuff and completely burn a board. I totally suck at soldering. If I could get over that I'm sure things will get much easier.
1st things 1st - what do you have for soldering gear?
See the photo's below for a pretty good soldering work area and tools.
Here is a bit of a primer and there are a lot of video's on Utube about soldering and also available at NASA.
http://stomach.v2.nl/projects/Basic_.../Soldering.pdf

Quote:
I hope to see you all,
Luis
Eh - be careful what ya wish for!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Work Area with tools March 2009 sm IMG_0157.JPG (218.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Worklamp March 2009 sm IMG_0159.JPG (174.1 KB, 15 views)
Old 5th July 2012, 05:35 PM   #5
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
diyAudio Member

^^^ where are you sourcing that mag viewer ..?
Old 5th July 2012, 05:55 PM   #6
lu432 is offline lu432  United States
diyAudio Member

Dude that article is awesome, I wish someone would have given me something like that back in the day

So since you have been so awesome as to share your knowledge now I have a question :P

Don't boards require a certain level of heat as opposed to say for example soldering an XLR Cable or a TRS Cable?

Just curious, but a lot more motivated
Old 5th July 2012, 07:26 PM   #7
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
^^^ where are you sourcing that mag viewer ..?
Grabbed it off of flea-bay about 3 years ago - I forget the store but I'll try and look it up if I can....

The outfit I got that lamp from doesn't have any of that type right now - but here is someone that does - and for pretty much the same price I paid + fee shipping. I haven't used them before so I can't vouch for them but their seller rating looks pretty decent.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5X-Diopter-C...ht_1624wt_1185

Last edited by c2cthomas; 5th July 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 5th July 2012, 07:44 PM   #8
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Dude that article is awesome, I wish someone would have given me something like that back in the day

There are others out there on the 'net - let your search engine be your friend.

Quote:
So since you have been so awesome as to share your knowledge now I have a question :P

Don't boards require a certain level of heat as opposed to say for example soldering an XLR Cable or a TRS Cable?
That all depends - It doesn't really matter if it is a PWB or a terminal lug - what you need to be able to judge is the amount of thermal mass that needs to be heated up to a sufficient temperature for a proper solder joint. This determination will help you to make a decision as to the amount of heat you will require as well as the proper size of your soldering tip. Experience will play a role in your selection as you progress.

Here is a place to start by one of the best solder station manufacturers.
HAKKO | Select Tip Shape | HAKKO Recommendations for Selection of Tip Size

I could go on - but it is a very long discussion to put into a little box.

Believe me - the proper selection of the proper wattage iron to use - at the proper temperature - with the proper tip - and the proper tools and workbench will make your soldering much easier. That being said - good soldering takes practice - and quite a bit of it. See if you can find some old scrap PC or TV or Audio PWB that you can use for practice - there should be something laying around in someone's scrap bin.

Feel free to PM me if you run into problems or have some questions. We can chat via email - forum - or telephone - FB - whatever.

Quote:
Just curious, but a lot more motivated
Thaaaaaaaat's what diyAudio iz all about!!

Last edited by c2cthomas; 5th July 2012 at 08:04 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!