diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Introductions (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/introductions/)
-   -   Hello (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/introductions/212824-hello.html)

Rosewind 17th May 2012 08:50 PM

Hello

Hi there.

I am a poetry, computer, hifi and music buff, who owns old and new Naim kit - one powered by a DIY psu.

I want to learn how to build a Buffalo III Dac, som HackerNaps and John Swenson's psu for my SB Touch. In the reverse order of course. I have acquired the tools and all, and am waiting for a nasty cold to leave my middle aged body so I can get on with learning how to solder (almost) like a pro.

I am nearly 50, married with children. I am an upper secondary English teacher and Union rep for my 90+ colleagues. I live in Aarhus, Denmark. I spent a year studying English in the States in 1987-1988 (almost in a former life, it seems).

Best wishes,
Peter

c2cthomas 17th May 2012 09:40 PM

Hello Peter and Welcome to diyAudio!!!! :D:D:D

Here are some links about soldering that you might find helpful.

I was certified to solder to NASA standards and can give you some advice about leaning if you run into any problems or have some questions that are not covered in the links below.

How to Solder
NASA's Radio JOVE Project: How to Solder
Guides

Also - there are quite a number of videos available about soldering on Youtube.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosewind (Post 3027273)
I am nearly 50

I've been saying that for years now!!!! And I plan on saying it for many more years yet to come!!!! ;)

Regards - Thomas

Pano 17th May 2012 09:41 PM

Welcome!

Yes, the '80s do seem like a former life, don't they?

Cal Weldon 17th May 2012 10:00 PM

Don't listen to those old guys Peter. Young guys like you and me are the future of this place. :D

Welcome to the forums.

c2cthomas 18th May 2012 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal Weldon (Post 3027366)
Don't listen to those old guys Peter. Young guys like you and me are the future of this place. :D

Welcome to the forums.

You best get your buttttt in line young man - or I'll have Terry O. and Bud P. make sure that you don't get anything but warm, flat beer at the next P10 get together...... :geezer:

Cal Weldon 18th May 2012 03:13 AM

Darn it, I was hoping you'd be asleep by now. :D

Cal Weldon 18th May 2012 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c2cthomas (Post 3027526)
warm, flat beer at the next P10 get together......

Real beer drinkers don't care if it's been in the oven. :)

Cal Weldon 18th May 2012 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c2cthomas (Post 3027526)
Terry O. and Bud P.

Those two old farts?

I love them to death but unless you're interested in the same old stories...

Rosewind 18th May 2012 10:14 AM

Thanks for the welcomes! I'm sure that I Will be needing some kegs of beer, a lot of help and adequate amounts of banter as I hobble along.

Best wishes,
Peter

c2cthomas 18th May 2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cal Weldon (Post 3027625)
Real beer drinkers don't care if it's been in the oven. :)

Warm USA beeeeeeer taste like it has been recycled by the previous drinker. Wait a second - it pretty much taste like that when it cold too....:yikes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosewind (Post 3027858)
Thanks for the welcomes! I'm sure that I Will be needing some kegs of beer, a lot of help and adequate amounts of banter as I hobble along.
Peter

Cal has plenty of beer - I'm full of banter (better known as BS here in US)

Tip #1 when learning how to solder - do NOT put tip of soldering iron on tongue to see if it is hot!!!! Cal told me that.........:p:p:p