Hello

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there.

I am a poetry, computer, hifi and music buff, who owns old and new Naim kit - one powered by a DIY psu.

I want to learn how to build a Buffalo III Dac, som HackerNaps and John Swenson's psu for my SB Touch. In the reverse order of course. I have acquired the tools and all, and am waiting for a nasty cold to leave my middle aged body so I can get on with learning how to solder (almost) like a pro.

I am nearly 50, married with children. I am an upper secondary English teacher and Union rep for my 90+ colleagues. I live in Aarhus, Denmark. I spent a year studying English in the States in 1987-1988 (almost in a former life, it seems).

Best wishes,
Peter

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello Peter and Welcome to diyAudio!!!! :D:D:D

Here are some links about soldering that you might find helpful.

I was certified to solder to NASA standards and can give you some advice about leaning if you run into any problems or have some questions that are not covered in the links below.

How to Solder
NASA's Radio JOVE Project: How to Solder
Guides

Also - there are quite a number of videos available about soldering on Youtube.

I am nearly 50

I've been saying that for years now!!!! And I plan on saying it for many more years yet to come!!!! ;)

Regards - Thomas

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Real beer drinkers don't care if it's been in the oven. :)

Warm USA beeeeeeer taste like it has been recycled by the previous drinker. Wait a second - it pretty much taste like that when it cold too....:yikes:

Thanks for the welcomes! I'm sure that I Will be needing some kegs of beer, a lot of help and adequate amounts of banter as I hobble along.
Peter

Cal has plenty of beer - I'm full of banter (better known as BS here in US)

Tip #1 when learning how to solder - do NOT put tip of soldering iron on tongue to see if it is hot!!!! Cal told me that.........:p:p:p

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I see that good advice - or is it BS?
Best wishes,
Peter

The tip about NOT putting the hot tip of a soldering iron to your tongue to test it's temperature is quiet valid and not BS. This can be confirmed by simply testing out the statement. Putting a 600f or 700f degree tip on your tongue will make a mental impression that will be quite long lasting (for most people - but not all).

Next we will get to the more advanced topic of why you should wear pants with long legs made of heavy cloth instead of shorts or knickers when soldering (not to mention that soldering while in your skives or bare azzzed is completely out of the question). Also - for the really solder sloppy - a leather apron over one's - ahem - "private parts" can help to avoid having to tell wife (or GF - or both) exactly how said private parts have melted solder fused to them.... :eek::eek::eek:

Also note that picking up the soldering iron by the tip is ill advised, as is scratching your nose with your soldering hand while holding the soldering iron.... :rolleyes:

Just wait until I actually show you how to solder - then the real fun begins!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Today's tip - If you should drop your soldering iron DO NOT try to grab it while it is still falling....... Guess why..........

Also - do not use wifez antique desk as work station - you will burn inlaid leather trim thingy.
Do not use wifez antique dinning room table as work station - you will burn fine hand rubbed finish and perhaps one or two lace doily thingy's too.
Do not use coffee table located over heirloom Persian Carpet - melted solder is really hard to remove from those......

Get a proper work bench - on a floor that is easy to clean and hides scuff and burn marks easily - even better if it is ESD safe....

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.