Hello from an Audiolab fan... I guess I made it a bit obvious!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

Very new here so be gentle please :)

I'm a bit of an Audiolab fan. This has come from my love of the forward and almost clinical sound that they put out when matched to the Mission 753s I currently have.

I'm a Cellist so prefer a sound similar to what I'm used to when sitting in the middle of an Orchestra. I guess that might be a little different to your average joe bloggs?!

I bought my first system parts back in 1998 which were the Mission 753s (before the Freedom came out), Audiolab 8000A (which I took back up and upgraded to the 8000S the next day as I couldn't cope with a remote! makes me sound really lazy but hey!).

Since then I've bought the 8000CDM, 8000DAC, 8000T and just a few days ago I've managed to get hands on a set of 4 8000M monoblocks and am playing around with stuff again for the first time in years.

After reading up over the last few days about the speaks, pre amps and amps etc, I've found that opinion is divided regarding the sound produced from the S and the Q... some say that the S has a better up front sound the that the Q is almost bland in comparison. I must say that I feel that a little of that is true but I've also found that the Ms and Q have added a real depth to the system so maybe the difference is more that the Ms and Q have added in some areas and not in others changing the balance?

I've done the small mod on the 753s to remove the plastic mesh over the tweeters drive units which makes a small difference but worth while.

I'm starting to look into active crossovers for the Missions and also making my own audio leads as I feel that as I've upgraded the system, they may now be holding thing back.

I'm fairly handy with spanners as I used to work for Porsche as a Technician but am a little down on knowledge of the ins and outs of in house stereos.

Anywhoo... hello all and great forum :wave:

MG

Hi Mr Audiolab,
I hope it's not too late to say hello when i found your thread. I'm an owner of 8000S, 2X8000M, Mission M66i, Marantz CD6300 and the latest 8200CD. I've been wondering what is really clinical sound that everyone had said about Audiolab. Earlier with CD6300, the sound was warmth and later with 8200CD, it added warmth, detailed and wider soundstage. I'm currently on the look out for another 2 8000M and 8000Q.

Since Audiolab already has new series, I've been thinking to add 2X8200M and 8200Q to my current system. Any opinion?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.