Hello from a speakers seeker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

Just a fleeting introduction, to say hello to you all.

I've adored sound for as long as I can remember, so having a decent hifi set up has always been important. My quest it to get the best sound possible (to my ears) at the best possible price, and that's why DIY is appealing to me.

I've recently bought a couple of Mini-T 'class t' amps, and I'm blown away at how great they sound. Output power may be low, but it's more than adequate for my needs.

All my sources are digital so I use a Beresford DAC to process the digital outputs, and the DAC feeds the amps. Tannoy Mercury F3s are the the speakers I'm using at the moment. They have a great sound when coupled with the Mini-Ts, but growing very bored with them - and I feel they are somewhat 'blurry' for want of a better word.

And that is why I am here - the learn as much about speakers as I can, and - ultimately - find the best (DIY) ones for my needs.

I've always been a fan of transmission line speakers, so that's what I'm initially looking at...

That's it for now.

Tannoid

I've recently bought a couple of Mini-T 'class t' amps, and I'm blown away at how great they sound.

... They have a great sound when coupled with the Mini-Ts, but growing very bored with them

... I've always been a fan of transmission line speakers,

Imo, good sound is not the one that blown you away, but the one that doesn't bore you.

Try active crossover if you haven't. You will probably be blown away (again).

With the Mini-T I am both blown away and not bored. I'm listening to one now through different speakers, and have been for several hour with my feet tapping for most of that time, and without my ears becoming fatigued.

The Tannoys plod rather than dance. That's why they bore me.

Active crossovers... can you explain more, please?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Welcome to the forum Tannoid.

Thanks for the link! The simplicity of your explanation has made it much easier to understand, and I'm feeling very much inspired.:)

A lot more to it than what Bunkie has written.

Many TLs of all flavours can be found here. The link below mught be helpful too. Look for the links to Martin King & Bob Brine's sites.

dave

Thank you, Dave. Before signing up here I did have a look at a couple of those sites, but felt overwhelmed by them! There's so much information, and I'm still trying to digest and make sense of it!

Slowly I'm getting there, and I'm sure it won't be long until I am confident enough to begin my quest towards TL Heaven.

T-TQWT 299-114

Tannoid, yes info everywhere, hard to keep up at times.

I hope you have chance to look at this thread, it must be in the top 5 as far as cost vs. sound. The 6-1/2" woofers are only $8 (for 4) and material costs are also very low.

There was some start up problems that all went away and now the HT never sounded better. I did build a double wide box that seems to be the way to go.

Don't have to read every post, start around #45 and scroll thru and check out plans, pics and sims/graphs. Several very talented engineers worked on this, I was the carpenter.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/203345-isobaric-less-then-20-a-5.html

Driver:
6-1/2" Subwoofer Speaker 299-114

...I hope you have chance to look at this thread, it must be in the top 5 as far as cost vs. sound. The 6-1/2" woofers are only $8 (for 4) and material costs are also very low.

There was some start up problems that all went away and now the HT never sounded better. I did build a double wide box that seems to be the way to go.

I'll take a look now.

Having looked at the Frugal horn Mk 3, I'm in awe of the various finishes people apply to make the speakers their own. What I couldn't find is the dimensions of the enclosures, but they look fairly compact.

Ultimately, what I want is a compact floorstander with an open, airy and low bass, and clear midrange and highs.

Thanks for the links.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.