hey hey, nice to meet you, here's a brain dump. - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th March 2012, 04:31 AM   #11
brsanko is offline brsanko  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to brsanko
I sealed box with these drivers will give you absolutely no bass. A pipe, transmission line or horn will invariably give you better sound. The amp may sound decent but I have actually purchased a few of the above mentioned Lepai amps ($20) and I can assure you they are surperior to any pile from Pyle. The Aura drivers look decent and could give decent bass in a properly tuned pipe or horn. (I would be willing to work up a design if you like.) but would most likely benifit from a tweeter as the high frequency response isn't fantastic. You mentioned you're into simplicity, an enclosure could be fashioned from something as simple as a piece of PVC pipe, painted and accesorized to taste. ecxellent sound can most definitely be had for under $100, I have accomplished it myself many times. Despite HiFi snobbery, the simplest systems often have the best sound, and MP3s can play beautiful music. With a low powered amp be sure to use at least 16ga if not 14ga wire. Don't worry about brand names or BS "wire technology". Just use the biggest wire you have. Welcome to the club, your into it for all the right reasons! If you want your stereo to sound good, then you're an audiophile.
Old 30th March 2012, 04:54 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I just did the math this speaker would sound fantastic in a 40" long piece of 6" PVC pipe, open on the bottom. It would give you excellent bass down to 50hz (sealed would only go down to 100hz) or lower if you make it longer. Of course you wouldn't have to use PVC, that would just be the easiest way to do it. These little tweeters Nuance TW5-073LR 1/2" Mylar Tweeter 279-060 with this capacitor http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...Number=027-420 connected in series for a 6khz crossover would be perfect. If you want a slightly more complex design let me know.
Old 30th March 2012, 05:00 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

BTW I would put some trust in Aura's numbers. There one of the bigger driver companies out there and are most likely pretty consistant and within decent toleraces to the printed specs. They could be off by as much as 20% and not drasticly change performance in a given enclosure.
Old 30th March 2012, 05:05 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

just so you know you will have to crank the bass up on your amp but this should not have much ill effect as the cone will not need to move excessively to produce low frequencies.
Old 30th March 2012, 05:29 AM   #15
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Ellis View Post
To utterly rely on posted T/S parameters is not 100%...there are variations from one production run to another. Some parameters are very close, some are way off & notably optimistic.
The whole subject of T/S parameters is a can pf worms. There are a myriad of posts where people have measured their drivers and they are way different from the specs, so say that the factory specs are way off. It is more complex than that. 1st, T/S parameters are not scalars but curves. It is possible, and often the case that both the factory spec, and the ones measured in the field are both right.

Most factory specs are determined by using LEAP or LMS. What us amatuers use is most often a computer and some software -- the measurement conditions are quite different.

What to do? Design boxes that are tolerent of changing T/S. After all the specs change with how high you have turned the wick, the dynamics of the music, air pressure, temperture, humidity...

Sealed, aperiodic, TLs, ML-TLs, horns are more tolerent, a tightly tuned BR is amoungst the worst.

dave
Old 30th March 2012, 05:36 AM   #16
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsanko View Post
... ecxellent sound can most definitely be had for under $100, I have accomplished it myself many times. Despite HiFi snobbery, the simplest systems often have the best sound, and MP3s can play beautiful music. With a low powered amp be sure to use at least 16ga if not 14ga wire.
I'll agree with the 1st -- a musical system can be assembled for dirt cheap.

I'll disagree with the 2nd -- the biggest improvement you can get is loading your iPod (or whatever) with non-lossy files (FLAC/ALAC/AIFF/WAV).If your music player doesn't do any of the lossless formats get a new one

And i'll disagree with the last. I'd recommend trying 24g solid core... strands pulled from a chunk of CAT4 network cable are a good source & free or cheap.

dave
Old 30th March 2012, 08:59 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Well obviously lossless sounds better, and 24/96 sounds better yet. I'm just saying that MP3s don't sound terrible and if it's what you have at the moment it won't make you a "bad audiophile" for enjoying it. I listen to Pandora every day and enjoy the variety I would never have the time to download in lossless(I only have 1.5 Mbps internet).
If you have a low power amp the less resistance your wire has the more power your speakers get (less wasted in heating the wire). If you want to spend the time pulling enough strands out of an ethernet cable to make a low resistance cable, more power to you, that's DIY to the full, but when I paid $75 for a roll of Monster cable speaker wire that didn't sound any different then the 14ga speaker wire I bought from PE for $15. So it's all about priorities and what you have the time and money for.
Old 30th March 2012, 09:07 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The difference in resistance is not significant. We have found a single pair works best.

dave
Old 30th March 2012, 09:19 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Well I guess it depends how long they are. If we're talking 8' or less I guess the most important thing is clean connections, and solid wire is alway best for that. But if you have a 25' stretch of wire the resistance can be significant. Anyway I guess the real point I meant to make is that wire really isn't that big of a deal, more of a tweak to mess with later on and not something to spend a bunch of money on if you are going cheap.
But I do have to say the Lepai amp with the tripath class T chips is a great sounding amp, and is absolutely unbeatable at $20. I don't think it sounded significantly different than my 30wpc Marantz integrated amp from the 70s. If you want to improve it, buy a 5amp wall wart adaptor for it to replace the 2amp one that comes with it.
Old 30th March 2012, 09:30 AM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsanko View Post
But I do have to say the Lepai amp with the tripath class T chips is a great sounding amp, and is absolutely unbeatable at $20.
$22. I found it to be quite amazing even ignoring the cost. I should have 2 more next week (triamp for <$70 )

Thanx for mentioning the power supply rick. I have some big 3A analog bricks here i should try.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!