hi all ! (MacDLSA1970)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all !

I discovered this fantastic forum only a month ago, so excuse me if I am a bit... "Late" !
Marco, 41, from a little city in Province of Pavia (Italy), keen of Hi-Fi since I was 14 years and long before of opera/liric music (basically "given" by my father and brother, both opera singers, in fact), rock (Pink Floyd), and more (MUCH more ...).
I have "cultivated" my passion "hanging out" in 3 local stores, of which only one has been "standing" nowadays (Highlander ?...), accumulating a decent listening experience ...
In all this time I have seen in my house several components like BST, Grundig (can't remember which amplifier model, but I remember it sounded really great !), Marantz, Philips, Thorens, RCF, Infinity ... until I got to Rotel ('92), Nad and Aliante (purchases, these last two, made just after my marriage... 10 years ago).
Precursor of the home theater (1988: Panasonic VHS HiFiStereo and Philips Dolby Surround _NO Pro Logic_ decoder, later replaced ('91) with a Yamaha DSP; first DVD player (Panasonic, too) in '97 along with a new Yamaha DSP-E492, which I still own) I never abandoned the pleasure of listening to the "only" stereophonic sound !
But so far I have NEVER been able to experience the excitement and satisfaction to hear "something" homemade !
I wish it was my own personal gift for Christmas Day... but between one thing and another, however, I managed to complete my "creations" only a week ago!
Yes, I'm a little bit used to woodwork, although it's only a hobbye (one of many...), and I always wanted to build a pair of simple speakers and an amplifier... but I never thought to get decided to "suppress" (read: SELL !!!) the existing system because of a greater listening satisfaction !
Some years ago I set my eyes on the project of the "Needles" and less on the italian "Fenice20" ...
And that's it !!! :
a TangBand W3-871S Needle "German" kit and the "Fenice 20" at home!
Here you will find a "storyboard" of the building
https://picasaweb.google.com/117710395593968524416/HiFIHomeTheaterLivingRoom

Some shots of my system "BEFORE":
HiFi_01.jpg

CD Player: NAD C541
AMP: Rotel RA940BX
SPEAKERS: Aliante CNM Tower
CABLES: -Signal: D-102 III Hybrid VanDenHul "semi-balanced"; -Power: VanDenHul CS-122 Hybrid

_____" Extension" for home theater (not in the pic)_____
(PRE)AMP/DECODER/DSP: Yamaha DSP-E492
SPEAKERS: Aliante CNM Central Voice + a pair of Sony speakers taken from a compact stereo system
DVD Player: Philips DVP-505S S
SUBWOOFER: PolkAudio PSW10

... and "AFTER" ! :
33%252520Impianto_SISTEMATO.JPG

CD player: NAD C541 (the same)
AMP: Fenice20 modified ("taken out" RCA jacks and power cables connectors on the rear panel) and painted in the same "theme" as the speakers
SPEAKERS: 1-way "Needle-like" with full-range TangBand W3-871S in TQWPs, made of 16mm thick MDF (painted black) and side panels in 16mm solid pine, finished with cherry pledging and all "completed" in sealer (2 / 3 hands).
CABLE: The same as "first" ... I tried the "signal" GBC CA-201-Blister and "power" HAMA 30728, but the VDH are, in my opinion, "a trickle" best suited to achieve a good balance with these components, rather than "sparkling" !

[As you can see, there are also a XBox360 and... a Mattel Intellivision I just "taken up" from my garage/basement/games room just to give us some little "vintage" videogame]

... a SHOCKING SUPERIORITY !
Not to mention that my wife liked the look (high WAF, then ! :up:)

From here shortly I will also replace the HomeTheater and definitely opt for a simpler (but less HiFi) "all inclusive" without "affecting", then, what I have just built !

Greetings!

[note: I set the driver in a position that is 5cm lower than on the original drawing and did some other modifies to the "box" (like the bitumen filling :whacko:) ... hope it would make them sound better ;) !]

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello Marko - and Welcome to diyAudio!!! :D:D:D

Fantastic work you have done there!!! Congratulations!!!

Of course - now that you have found this place - you are in for a lot more "toys" - upgrades - tweaks - mods - etc. with which to keep you occupied for many years to come. Save some room in your work space - if you are like most of us the projects will start to stack up.:eek:

Hi again and thanks to all of you !
Sorry, I could not answer until now... Internet out of use until today because of the bad weather, as you can see from the TV news, which is affecting almost everywhere here in Europe.

Of course - now that you have found this place - you are in for a lot more "toys" - upgrades - tweaks - mods - etc. with which to keep you occupied for many years to come. Save some room in your work space - if you are like most of us the projects will start to stack up.:eek:
Yeah, that's what we call "the true truth" :) !
IN FACT
I am now building a DIY CDPlayer using a PC mech, a small DAC and a tube buffer... but I'd better post in the right place (Digital source) !

Cheers !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.