I am ,therefore ,i am, newbie!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello from norcal on a beautiful fall day,well started out that way until wife hollered from the house "somethings on fire",so i raced up(slow amble)to the house from my barn/workshop and sure enough something did smell of smoke,but what was it? I immediately shut breaker off to the house(smell coming from last place i had worked,,lol the garage)and started with my nose following it around up and down ladder until i zeroed in on small workbench that had my ,swallowing hard now,"Sansui"1000a that my neighbor had given me. but funny thing is that it did smell of wood,well upon further inspection i found some wax'y substance comming down through the chassis and also looked like something had followed the wires coming from the middle transformer,down through the chassis almost like a bee's wax. Now i am a retired plumbing contractor and don't know all that much about the electrical components that make up a tuner,what i do know is that this tuner like myself has probably had fitter times.

I can remember my friend jimmy's older brother don coming home from the navy with this sound system that got the attention of every neighborhoodnick that was into the sounds of the times.Deep Purple,alvin lee&Ten years after,Pink Floyd,Led Zepplin,The real journey pre perry,new riders of the purple sage,quicksilver messenger service well you get it. Anyway i am looking forward to learning more about analog tuners and the soft ,warm sounds they bring to us in a loud(if still inclined)way. So if anyone might enlighten me as to where to start with this repair i would surely appreciate it and would likewise offer my extensive if not crusty knowledge of plumbing and solar.
Peace,
John:)

Have you tried a HD tuner? They sound great and very little background noise (hiss) if any. They can be bought for $50 and up. I have one in the shop, not quite CD quality, but much better than older analog tuners.

Might want to check your area for HD radio stations; if you are near a big city, there should be plenty.

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-HDT-1-Radio-Component-Tuner/dp/B000J13TEE

“I'm so sorry, that I can't offer you a less dangerous solution.” Dr. Walter Bishop

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.