hello from detroit, mi, usa

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have to admit I know nothing about hi-fi sound. I have joined because I am building a sound system as part of a larger project and i need to pick the brains of many hi-fi smarty pants to get good results.:) I am amazed at how expensive and complicated sound systems appear to be. I am hoping for guidance and advice on how to go about my project. thanks.

Let's see . . . Michigan . . . that's the state where occasionally the weather works to make it "hotter than Hell in Paradise".

One really cool thing about internet forums like this is how they transcend geography. Detroit? Darwin? Dusseldorf? It's pretty much the same on the Forum. Both questions and answers can show up from anywhere, at any hour of day or night.

On the other hand . . . I think we DO lose something because people with similar interests aren't as inclined to seek out each other and interact in-person. There's a great discussion of the value of informal, personal, interaction in chapter 11 of Bronowski's book "The Ascent of Man". His thesis is that huge advances in physics were made at a few German universities in the 1920's and 30's because Max Born was able to attract like-minded individuals to himself - and they had good opportunity to discuss their ideas because, to go ANYPLACE, they had to ride the same train to Berlin.

Dale

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.