Oldie But Newbie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all. I'm, Paul and was a member of DYI audio years ago, from 2001? -2007? I forgot old username and password, even old e-mail address. I've been very sick and have had major computer and even worse, electrical problems. I'm so happy:) to be back in this awesome, the best:D, forum for audiophiles to audio junkies. I used to be both, then I got sick.
I'm in dire need of help. I blew a low-end equalizer on a Sony Component system. I just thought it was old. Then I bought a BDP-CX960 Sony blueray player and it ran super hot and so did the Sony STRDA2ES. I had it hooked up through a Monster Power Reference Powercenter HTS3500 MKII. The EQ also went on the Sony.:eek: The fan never worked on the new Sony BDP-CX960 400 disc blue-ray player:rolleyes:, I had just bought and worked great at first with Sony ES, but both were hot, then even hotter and the player's fan never turned on. I had an optical input fixed and chalked the receiver up to that and the fan to it being bad, I still have to get it fixed. Hope it didn't affect the laser's. Thank God for extended warrenties as this is an expensive and brand new machine, tailored pefect to work with the new Onkyo. Then, I buy a Yamaha 670
and did the dumbest thing. I used my beloved B&K AVR507 V1.2. This was after a Sony receiver, that never ran hot, did, and a second equalizer blew, basically all electronic decoding too, in the Sony, and I should've stopped then. The B&K"s 7 seperate transformers, the amp, blew, after a few wonderful days of music. I had the powercenter hooked up and the amp in the correct outlet, Main Amp High Current and timed and the CD player in correct Digital unswitched CD player outlet and the T.V. in the T.V. monitor outlet and cable-box in the digital unswitched cable outlet, all in the Monster Reference Powercenter. I also must mention, the Yamaha ran hot also and I never had Cd player's run hot. The B&K was on a very low volume and it blew when I took the video cable, hooked to the LCD T.V, for viewing the B&K's menu, out of the video outlet in the 32" Insignia HD LCD T.V., which wasn't being used for the B&K's menu at the time, but had a T.V. program on it. This never would've happened if I wasn't so sick and I knew that the new A.C., central air, was put in a fusebox meant for 15 amp fuses and they used a 20 amp fuse. I'm not going to cry over spilled milk and bought an Onkyo TXNR3008, push pull W.R.A.T. designed amp with high current and 145 watts per channel at .05 THD,9.2 so 9 channels and biampable alone. I really want to get B&K fixed, for that warm 7 seperate transformers sound, to use to biamp, and ordered a Marantz 5 disc changer with a 24 bit DA converter, the Marantz CC 4003. I don't want the same to happen and will be buying the best powercenter/surgeprotector, I can afford. I'm very tight with available money, but am not willing to let these investments blow also. I'm so sick and music is a true love of mine, progressive rock, mostly European, British, and from the mid 60's up till the mid 70's, with several new progressive bands coming out too. I also am running a seperate line and putting in P.S Audios 99 dollar faceplate, for the outlet, and appropriate gangbox, running 10 gauge wire down to a seperate, two 20 amp fuse fusebox, with receptacles for the appropiate needs. High current digital recepticle and high current analog recepticle, for the times have changed so much. I've been sick 4 years and the changes are amazing and frustrating. I would assume I could run my seperate line with appropriate replacement fuse recepticle for the upgraded fusebox, for just the one outlet, to the hopefully fixed and upgraded breaker and parts, for the fusebox with 20 amp central air fuse in it. The central air company are coming to look. Otherwise, can I get and run a seperate single fusebox for my seperate line, and hopefully be able to have the phone company run it to the pole, as I know this is the best way, but I'm in condos with a lot of rules. I am still in shock it happened. I literally lost all my gear, and came from a 50 year old house with very old wiring and some, needed, new wiring, and the center always protected against surges and would turn off and save my equipment. What is stranger is it showed it at 120-123 and none of the lights showed anything wrong, wiring o.k, ground o.k, surge protected, clean power light on, unswitced and swiched lights on, and timed on. Also, the B&K has it's own 10 amp protection fuse and it didn't blow. I never had problems with anything before the A.C. was put in. I had a Pentium III hooked up with just a Belkin Surge Protector, and it worked fine in same room and same outlets used before new Central Air and 20 amp fuse. I've had nothing but computer problems, since and I must add that all equipment and outlets are protected with monster powerstrips for surge protection and clean power, and it seems to be the outlet that I use for T.V. and all audio, yet I'm not willing to test others with a new receiver. I really need advice on: where to get parts to run a seperate line from appropiate plug faceplate, gang-box, and seperate run of 12 or even the now recommended, 10 guage wire to the fusebox and if they put 20 amp fuse box breaker in current fusebox, can I just change the two fuse recepticles in the updated fusebox, and put the appropiate high amp digital and high amp analog rcepticle and fuses in or do I need to run a seperate line, phone company at this point, to the telephone pole? I should mention, I'm staying in condos, and the cable wiring is a mess. So much so that the HD Insignia LCD TV, size 32, looks horrible at it's highest viewing rating, 1080P, and is being broadcast at this signal with proper HDMI coming from appropiate HD Cablebox and channel. Not horrible, but horrible for HD. My Panasonic looks the same. Please, this never happened before the A.C. and 20 amp fuse put in and any advice on what products to use and how to do it properly, as I am too sick to do. The electrician looked at my powercenter's reading of 120, at the time and measured the outlets voltage and said all o.k.? Impossible to tell if all is o.k from just one measurement at one moment. I would truely appreciate any help with what products to use and which method is best, especially if I can't run a seperate line. I wish they could figure out my disease that has me 140lbs lighter and so sick I have to hire someone to do this, and I have almost 2 years of Electrical Engineering credits and love to do this kind of work. I just want to have the parts ready and to know best and even if all methods mentioned, are possible. Also, B&K never smoked or was even close to clipping, as I never had it that high. It was on very low volume when it went. When I took out the video cable, the B&K made a bunch of "relay like sounds I never heard come from it" and it plays at almost full volume, very quiet, but clear? It has 7 seperate transformers and caps and everything looks fine. It's the same in all outlets, since this, and I'm confused as to how this could happen, except for the A.C., and me not knowing they used a 20 amp fuse. Anyone that could help in anyway, it would be greatly appreciated and I may need to hire someone for the seperate run part. I would appreciate any solutions, as it seems I may never be healthy enough to make it back to my mother's and my, now rented house, where this wouldn't have happened and over 800 cd's and 20 odd boxsets plus 30 odd concert DVD's were stolen:bomb:. Much thanks in advance and sorry so long.:eek:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Paul,

Glad you're back. I checked your IP address and couldn't find a match to merge the accounts.

Now, a suggestion. Pick a forum other than Intros to ask the questions in and condense it a bit. I looked at your post and glazed over very quickly due to it's lengthy nature.

Anyways, glad you're back and hope you get the answers you need.

Thanks for getting back so quick

Hi Paul,

Glad you're back. I checked your IP address and couldn't find a match to merge the accounts.

Now, a suggestion. Pick a forum other than Intros to ask the questions in and condense it a bit. I looked at your post and glazed over very quickly due to it's lengthy nature.

Anyways, glad you're back and hope you get the answers you need.

I'm in a different building with a different optonline account. Thanks for the useful info and welcoming me back.:) I can hopefully find an old statement from optimumonline.net with my old IP address written on it, or I'll call. I did post this in the wiring and do-it-yourself section without much success and I'm really too ill to rewrite it now:t_ache:, plus so many doctor appointments and I'm losing my vision and am hypersensitive to light, especially the sun and computer screens,etc. Hopefully, someone will take the time to read and be able to give me the info and even links to the sites I used to have on my now defunct Pentium III or IIII. It had windows XP. They were sites from here and elswhere that supply the aforementioned parts. I lost a lot of info with that computer, as the rentee broke it. Wish I was better:sad:, but gotta keep my head up.:)

I read the whole thing.

It is not clear what your question is.

You appear to suspect problems with your stereo equipment to be the result of installation of a 20 amp fuse for a circuit designed for 15 amp operation.

As you appear to already be aware, this is not a safe condition. That being said, I am unaware of any way (short of a building fire) that this could cause failure of stereo components.

You mention that the stereo equipment is "protected" by some sort of surge / spike gizmo. Further, that the stereo equipment is on the same panel circuit with an air conditioning unit. My understanding of surge / spike protection equipment is that it is designed to protect against damage caused by surges and / or spikes in excess of 120 volts. It seems possible to me that damages to your audio equipment may have been caused by the opposite condition - under current. Is it possible the air conditioning unit compressor starting or operation draws so much current from the circuit that not enough remains to operate the stereo? Most circuit protection gear in the consumer market does not protect from this occurrence.

It is unlikely the phone company will be concerned with your troubles OR that they could possibly offer any solution to your dilemma.

I do not know what or how to recommend you proceed. It is no fun being ill and I sympathize with your malady.

Thanks for the concern. Please leave me a link to the forum

I read the whole thing.

It is not clear what your question is.

You appear to suspect problems with your stereo equipment to be the result of installation of a 20 amp fuse for a circuit designed for 15 amp operation.

As you appear to already be aware, this is not a safe condition. That being said, I am unaware of any way (short of a building fire) that this could cause failure of stereo components.

You mention that the stereo equipment is "protected" by some sort of surge / spike gizmo. Further, that the stereo equipment is on the same panel circuit with an air conditioning unit. My understanding of surge / spike protection equipment is that it is designed to protect against damage caused by surges and / or spikes in excess of 120 volts. It seems possible to me that damages to your audio equipment may have been caused by the opposite condition - under current. Is it possible the air conditioning unit compressor starting or operation draws so much current from the circuit that not enough remains to operate the stereo? Most circuit protection gear in the consumer market does not protect from this occurrence.

It is unlikely the phone company will be concerned with your troubles OR that they could possibly offer any solution to your dilemma.

I do not know what or how to recommend you proceed. It is no fun being ill and I sympathize with your malady.
Sorry so long, but had bad side effect from medicine tried and don't have much time now. Your help is greatly appreciated. I don't live here, but am staying, since so sick. I'm buying a book so I can better describe situation. The A.C. company ran two seperate 15 amp fuses, so I don't know what did it. There are also many 20 and 30 amp fuse/breakers that use both receptacles to split the power. What's so maddening is I can't sleep from the pain, etc, and all my equipment blew. Music truely eases my soul and makes more bearable. The cleanpower center and surge protector unit always worked at my house. I just figured out why my new computer purchase ran so hot and needs returned. The outlet used to charge it was the same. Please, if you could post a link to correct section to post and any stores that sell equipment for me to run a seperate line and probably two 15 amp fuse/breakers to run for the high amperage analog equipment and two 15 amp fuses for the high amp digital equipment. Otherwise, Im getting the proper 20 amp seperate high amp digital and seperate high amp analog fuse/breakers, and a seperate box. Thanks for your time. I have an Onkyo TXNR3008 and I'm afraid to plug it in anywhere because this is my last amp. It runs with a computer and I have to do it this way because times have changed so much, and obviously something is wrong with my outlet. Now, off to the doc's. This is truely maddening. Peace, Paul

Thanks

I have bumped your other threads and made another request for help. Hope that works.
Thank you. I'm learning more and more about this houses, mom's and here since so sick, wiring and need to post when I figure all of it out. Please leave me a link to proper forum. I first read about doing this here and it explained it step by step. Peace and Good Health. Paul

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.