Here to learn...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hea Matt- If you want suggestions, Im sure that some will be forthcomming. You should tell us what you are going to be using the PA for. Like rehearsal, live gigs in small rooms, big rooms ect. Also what kind of music you play, and what do you need to put through the PA. Vocals only, or keyboard, gitar, ????. Do you have any speakers, microphones, or other bits of a system?
Last but not least, how much can you spend>?

Hea Matt- If you want suggestions, Im sure that some will be forthcomming. You should tell us what you are going to be using the PA for. Like rehearsal, live gigs in small rooms, big rooms ect. Also what kind of music you play, and what do you need to put through the PA. Vocals only, or keyboard, gitar, ????. Do you have any speakers, microphones, or other bits of a system?
Last but not least, how much can you spend>?

Thanks. I started a thread here. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/construction-tips/189795-building-pa-need-help-crossover.html

The PA will be used for practice and for small to medium venues (100 - 150 people). We play 80's to currently alternative music such as Cage the Elephant, Seether, Neon Tree's, etc. PA will be mainly for vocals (Lead singer / two backup and harmony). There will be some guitar to fill the room a little better, a little bit of keys, but not both guitar and keys at the same time, and kick drum. Possibly some toms depending on the size of the location.

Considering the system will be built, I'm thinking no more than $250 - $350 per PA cabinet. Would like to spend about 3K when it's all said and done. We will be buying one piece at a time, as we earn money playing gigs, but want quality equipment that will last. I would prefer to have all unpowered equipment pushed by power amps.

The goal is to have 15" 2 way mains, and 18" subs. We just hire sound for the large venues. A 8-12 input mixer would be plenty for our uses. :confused: Oh, monitors, we will need those as well. I was thinking of using 3 power amps. One for mains, monitors, and subs. 1000W amps seems like it would be enough juice. :scratch:

Effects, well, we really don't use them for vocals cause we don't like to mask how well or not well we're singing so we can improve. :D

Hi Matt. Are you an Electrician perchance? ;)

No, but I have done a few wiring projects. My 5E3 and my V8 bug. Does that count? :D

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

What's the new band's style? I always wanted to start a heavy metal hair band called Thë ÜnnecessärŸ Ümläuts.

Very similar to my current cover band. Here are some of our songs.

1. All The Small Things - Blink182
2. Shimmer - Fuel
3. Counting Blue Cars - Dishwalla
4. The Middle - Jimmy Eat World
5. Good - Better Than Ezra
6. Eve 6*- Inside Out
7. Sublime - Santeria
8. The Cure*- Just Like Heaven
9. The*Toadies*- Tyler
10. Killing in the Name of - RATM
11. Kings Of Leon - Use Somebody
12. Shake Me Down - Cage the Elephant
13. Animal - Neon Trees
14. Hella Good
15. Blister In The Sun - Violent Femmes
16. Harder to Breathe - Maroon 5
17. Mr Brightside - Killers
18. Crazy - Gnarls Barkley
19. Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry
20. Sugar We’re Going Down - Fall Out Boy
21. Cold Hard Bitch - Jet
23. Your Love - The Outfeild
24. The Cure - The Love Song
25. Foo Fighters - Everlong
26. Sublime - What I Got
27. Sex Type Thing - STP
28. When I Come Around - Green Day
29. Crazy Bitch - Buckcherry
30. Lit - My Worst Enemy
31. Rick Springfield*- Jessie’s Girl
32. Beastie Boys*- Fight For Your Right...
33. Tool - Sober
34. Helena - My Chemical Romance
35. Seether - Country Song

I would recommend buying a system from a music shop rather than build your own.
It will be cheaper and you should have the benefit of a warranty too.

Of course you could build your own but it is likely to be more expensive as you are buying one off parts. The likes of Marshall and Peavey buy in bulk and so get much better prices.

If you insist on making your own then beware as there are some rubbish circuits floating around that would be difficult for a beginner to get working properly or reliably. The setup of amps (DC offset and bias) can be a nightmare for a beginner.

You might consider an amplifier module rather than get involved in getting pcb's made and soldering them yourself.

Just incase, to clear things up, I just want to build the cabs with the speakers. The mixer and power amps will be bought. I'm just not sure what to do about the crossover and possibly attenuating the mains to balance them out.

Ok -Well I would be tempted to stay away from monster big boxes, cuz sombody has to move them. :( Mabe 4 seperate boxes with 1 12" each in them (no crossover) for the mains, and some high frequency speakers to put on the top, Like horns, although horn's are real directional:( Then wedge shaped monitor boxes with one 12 each and again a cheap horn. The horn for the monitor would have to have a pad on it or it will be too much. Sooooo-- like lots of medium power amps, one for each box or a total of mabe 8 100 Watt amps. That way you can balance the amount of power going to each box. Im thinking 8 100 Watt chip amps in a rack. Not as expensive as it may sound. Buy amp kits on E-bay and just do the packaging. Then you say that you can build the boxes? That will save some money. Buy a board with like 8 seperate ouputs so that you can dial the system in.

I run a mobile disco and dont bother with crossovers.
I use a 2 by 12 inch cabinet with full range drivers.
I also use a bass box with an 18 inch eminence sigma pro.

Best to use ply for your boxes as this is lightest.
My 2 by 12 is managable but is on castors for easy transport.
The 18 incher is heavy so again is on castors.
Wouldnt like to carry any of it upstairs tho !

Nigel- what do you recomend for hi frequency speakers on the mains? Oh - and I dident mention bass boxes. Radical as it may be, I dont think I would include bass speakers in the PA. Lots of size, lots of power, lots of cost. This is just my opnion but the things that need to go in the PA are voice first, then mabe gitar, and the bass is generated by the bass player and drums. They have their own amps. OK kick drum:eek: but not to much please. Just give the drummer a little help.

Nigel- what do you recomend for hi frequency speakers on the mains? Oh - and I dident mention bass boxes. Radical as it may be, I dont think I would include bass speakers in the PA. Lots of size, lots of power, lots of cost. This is just my opnion but the things that need to go in the PA are voice first, then mabe gitar, and the bass is generated by the bass player and drums. They have their own amps. OK kick drum:eek: but not to much please. Just give the drummer a little help.

I use eminence beta 12 inch speakers for mids.
They only go up to 4KHz ish so you might need a bit of extra help at the top end.

For my disco work bass is a must especially for very modern drum and bass music hence the 18 inch driver.

I would submit that there are four big things to be said for the modular approach;
1. When it comes time to move the equipment, you do it in smaller bits.
2. If something fails (like an amp or speaker) then the whole system dosen't come down.
3. There is an aspect of control that comes with being able to turn down just that pesky monitor that is feeding back, without effecting the rest of the system.
4. You can start modestly, and add to it as the budget allows.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.