New guy from the south

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all! I've been lurking here and searching and finally decided to go ahead and join. I'm pretty much a noob to home audio but have been into mobile audio for 10 years. So I have some experience but they are two different animals!

The bug has bit me enough to take on my first project. In my browsing I came across Mark Audio and was really intrigued by his full-range drivers. I went ahead and purchased a pair of Alpair 10.2 drivers and plan on building the Pensil 10.2 cabinets. It should be a great learning experience and the first of many to come! Now all I need are some decent components on a budget as my car audio addiction takes a substantial amount of money! I hope to enjoy it here and learn a lot.

Nick

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Nick - and Welcome to diyAudio!!!! :D:D:D

I 2nd Cal's warning - NOW you have two addictive hobbies that can chew pretty deep into a wallet if you aren't careful!!! :$::$::$:

You should have learned a couple of things chasing car audio nirvana - things like what is worth putting time and money into and other things that are a waste of both. Hopefully that experience will help you with the non mobile audio as well. You have made a great start with your selection of the MA drivers and the pensil cabinets. If you need a little more bass to suit your taste just add a sub or two and you're good to go.

Yeah, I'm hoping it doesn't turn into another addiction! I'm crossing my fingers about my latest additions to my vehicle are my last for a while and I can then focus on a more stable platform as far audio goes, if you know what I mean!

The thing I find funny and sad at the same time is that the money I've spent on my car could put me together one sick set-up in my house. One of the things I hope to get out of this is more of a reference of what my car "should" sound like as well as another hobby of course.

I'm having a really hard time selecting some components. As of right now I'm using an old Onkyo HT set-up but the receiver has a front channel that cuts out every now and then so that will be going in the closet. I'm really partial to early Sony ES stuff. I never listen to anything in 5.1, only in stereo. So I'm really just looking for a decent stereo amp and pre-amp.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I'm really partial to early Sony ES stuff. So I'm really just looking for a decent stereo amp and pre-amp.

Once upon a time in another life I fixed audio gear for a living (of sorts - you don't make a lot of $$$ fixing run of the mill stereo gear). Without knocking Sony gear juz lemme say I think that there is better stuff ta spend your $$$ on. OR BETTER YET - DIY it!!!! There are some killer DIY designs around that will tear up some of the "older" classics. Still - some of the classics are very good and do have a bit of charm to them. Hang around for awhile and you'll get a feel for it. If ya have any questions - well that's where you can get a lot of advice. Some of it might even be goooooood advice!!!! :rolleyes:

See'n as how you are living down here in Southern America I'll be glad to give you a hand - one Southern boy to another.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.