FIne Music Sydney - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2011, 07:55 AM   #1
plbplb is offline plbplb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default FIne Music Sydney

Hi,

I'm a technical volunteer with 2MBS Fine Music Sydney, a community (=public) radio station in Sydney.

I'm looking for a CD player replacement, which could also be part of a computer based CD storage system.

The CD players at 2MBS are in use up to 24 hours per day, each studio has to 4 players.

The idea is that a computer USB interface CD drive is cheap and easy to replace, and with a SPDIF (AES/EBU) output to a digital mixer, should provide suffucuent quality for FM broadcast.

I would like to put together a small computer (preferably LINUX based) with two USB CD drives, and two SDPDIF output, control the whole lot with a web browser (to minimise number of screens in the studio).

Has anyone done any thing like this, any suggestions for sources of suitable computers?

Regards,

Peter.
PS. Listen to us at 2mbs.com
Old 26th March 2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hello Peter and welcome to the forums. You might get a better response if you post this in a different place than Introductions.
Old 26th March 2011, 09:39 PM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to the forum...

dave
Old 26th March 2011, 10:57 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Peter.
Welcome to the forum, and I have a couple of thoughts for you.

As with anything computers, the simplest thing that works is almost always the most reliable.

firstly rather than spending a lot of money on more reliable computers, I would expect them to fail, but make it simple to replace (eg: Boot from CF).

Just find something well made but inexpensive, or alternatively something very low power (low heat) with no moving parts.

A couple of ideas are:

1. Business PC's - IBM / HP are the de-facto business desktops. They are built to a good standard with quality parts. Previous years model can be had new for next to nothing.

2. Seeing as you aren't demanding much for your CPU - you might even get away with a low power SBC which will typically have onboard Ethernet, USB, miniPCI and boot from CF.

Using either option, as well as playing form CDROM you could also play flac files from a remote server straight into the digital desk; mpd would be a suitable choice of software for that.

Finally, take a look at Voyage MPD | Voyage Linux which is a linux distro with it's own custom web interface for MPD - those guys also have a store which sells SBCs preloaded with Voyager MPD (Voyage - Store).

I'm not sure if MPD will help you control the CD's, but the Voyager distro would be a great starting point regardless.

Also, as an aside, I think I'd be leaning towards playing music from hard disk rather than CDROM (less likely to skip, longer service life, logs, backups etc).

Hope some of that is useful for you.

Rich
Old 27th March 2011, 02:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Also, you're probably already aware of this - but looks very useful! Sourcefabric | Airtime

Hide this!Advertise here!