UK with some questions - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2011, 09:55 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default UK with some questions

Hello from the UK, I wonder if there is a specific thread I need to start or might be spread over several?

I have some kit that was in my car, quality stuff, UP36i 3 way components from DLS (Swedish), sub and class G amp (2ohm stable) from Genesis (UK) and I don't want to fit it to my new car.
I plan to make some speaker cabinets but I am stuck on the volume required for the 6.5" bass driver EBP calculations bring it to 47 so lends to sealed but I don't have a Qtc figure. Fs=65.4420 Hz Vas=7.13 Qts=1.0279 Using available calculators Qts defaults to .707 but this doesn't work because it needs to be higher than Qts. I have all of the speaker specifications from DLS, how do I calculate Qtc or can I just put a larger figure?
I would like to use TML design for this speaker but I am not sure if it is suited to that purpose. Sd is 133cm2 or 0.0133m2. Possible?

If I use a 60A bench power supply into a 1.2farad cap I think that will be ok to run the amp rated 150W per channel at 2ohm, however I plan to run the DLS (4ohm 100W per ch) and bridge the sub at 300W max draw 45amps. The only thing concerns me is ripple, would I hear <150mv ripple or will the cap smooth it?

I could run active without the sub because the crossovers have the ability to be jumpered so I could drive the bass speaker using the LP crossover of the amp off 2 channels and the mids and tweeters off the rest of the DLS crossover using the other 2 channels in HP on the amp.

It is just for fun, I'm not expecting audiophile quality but they sounded very nice and audiophile in the car with the hand doped mid dome speaker and tweeters high in the doors, everyone remarked how clear it sounded. So would be nice to see what they sound like in the house. These tweeter and dome do not need a box but will be isolated from the bass speaker.

Just need opinions on powering the amp and calculating the best box size?
Old 21st March 2011, 10:40 PM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Hi and welcome. One post in loudspeakers and another in car audio would have been best

Qtc is the Q in the box and Qtc 0.707 is maximally flat. As you have found, putting a speaker in a box raises Q, so you are stuck with a high Q which is not good. The speakers are designed to be mounted in a large lossy volume (car door) and noisy environment hence the need for a bit of bass boost via a high Qts.

The power supply should be fine for what you want.

Last edited by richie00boy; 21st March 2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 22nd March 2011, 09:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I had a reply from DLS 16 litre closed and some success with a 21 litre ported with a 5.5cm 3" vent. They built these for shop display. That is in the area of book shelf speaker size so I might construct a sealed first to see how that sounds. I can active filter the 12" SQ sub and passive the 3 ways.

Hide this!Advertise here!