Hey Everyone! A new member humbly says Hello!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone!

I have been watching the forum off and on for about a year and nerved up the courage to join!

My name is John and I am a BSEET (Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering Technology = approx. $10k in education per letter ). I used to be an electrician before I went back to school and got my degree.

I first started playing around with audio in my car back in the 80s (the somewhat embarrassing "booster" days... but they did work and they worked pretty well if you were careful about your selection...). Since graduating EET I have learned A LOT about electronics (especially audio...), and now that I have some $$$ coming in with my new career I have decided to take my training and my own limited ingenuity to hand with some "garage engineering" for fun (because the paying career is truly boooring).

I see from the posts that there is everything from Electrical Engineers to Audio Tinkerers. What a great diversity of opinions and interests! I don't know if I have much to contribute with such a great diversity, but I will do my best. :nod:

Well I won't bore you with more garbage about me... So I guess I will close with: Hello! :)

Oooops...

I guess there's something I forgot when I joined not long ago... The introduction ;)

Heck...People accepted me, and it's even turned into a 30 page booklet I'm about to lay my final touches on.
Nick Whetstone from the UK inspired me to do it (based on a thread I participated in) and it deals with my point of view on a number of subject concerning, amongst others, the DIY newcomer. I expect to have it done as a PDF before the end of this week.

Things as typical power supply errors, taking the mystery out of cables, simple filter theory (which you as a BSEE know plenty about, while some others don't), shielding considerations, and a number of other topics.

For the time being, I have nowhere to up-load it to, so it'll have to be sent byu email per request.

(Hmmm.. this wasn't meant as a commercial (it's free, so no point there anyway) but as a sign that there are many sources of inspiration like Nick (in my case), and people are generally very friendly around here... :goodbad: :nod:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

First of all welcome to the both of you.

but what is wiki ???

When you go to the frontapge of the forum : http:/www.diyaudio.com you'll notice at the top of the page:

Forums Links Wiki

Just click on Wiki and you'll see what it's about.

I don't think Wiki accepts the PDF format but plain text should be fine.

Enjoy the forum,;)

No wiki for me...

Hi everyone, and thanks for the offered help.

Unfortunately, the document contains a lot of illustrations, and some of the pages are REALLY stuffed. Therefore I want to keep it as a PDF in order to preserve the layout independent of peoples printers (which influence the page-breaks and text flow).

I may have a friend, though, who has a totally different web page, but could spare some space.

Besides, having people email me for a copy could allow me to keep track of it's popularity, nd I'd like that when considering a possible continuation.

Jennice

sliiiiiiiding back over to the topic...

John, Jennice,

Thank you for the replies.

John,

Kudos to you! Its really hard to give up a paycheck and accept 4-5 years of poverty that often comes with college. After getting used to having no money, I found that I really appreciated the return to education. I pulled as much knowledge out of my Univeristy as I (or they) could stand. Professors often are more forthcoming with knowledge and understanding when conversing with an adult student.

Jennice,

I would love to get a copy of your work. Pdf is fine for me. And Jennice, please don't assume that because I am an EET that I already know a lot about any electronic subject. One misconeption people have over Electrical Engineers is that they know everything about anything Electrical and Electronic. Let me assure you that that is completely not true (with a few possible ultra-intelligent individuals excepted). The Industry is too vast! :yikes:

When you factor in the theories for RF, Satellite, communications, computer/micro, analog, digital, power electronics, electrical power generation, filters, power distribution, building wiring/protection, motor controls, PLCs, etc... there is simply no way anyone could know it all. In the audio world, I consider myself a very well-trained amateur. I can build an amp (I have built many in college), but I cannot build just any amp. :wrench:

In truth, I know enough to be absolutely dangerous, but that in itself is what makes treading new ground fun. The most important thing I learned in college engineering was how to be safe while being absolutely dangerous. And that is the golden rule when working with electricity. :soapbox:

Hi John,

I know what you feel like (I'm an engineer, too :) )

While my field was low power analog electronics, my mates in the high power section had T-shirts made, which said "Power engineers only fail once" ;)

Speaking of living life dangerous, eh? *grin*

as for the booklet, please send me an email to audio@_remove-this_sylvest.net

and remember to remove the dashes and text. It's placed there to avoid mail robots scanning *S*

See ya' around -
Jennice

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
John Z, Jennice, John C, and even the old timers... Welcome to the forum. Best audio forum on the WWW. Hope you enjoy yourselves here.:)

Attachments

• welcome_01.jpg
    welcome_01.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 228
the REAL John Zimmerman??? For Real???

Wow!:bigeyes: I never thought that I would run into you here! It's been a couple of years since I saw you in school. Drop me a line sometime.

The wealth of information here is astounding. I've been hanging around for a few years myself. Make the most of it. If I know you, you will be contributing more than your fair share ;)

Take it easy and remember:
"You've all been using my asspennies!" (For everyone else, please ignore the crude line. It's an inside joke.)

Sean C.

The Real Sean Cline!

Is this the real Sean: aka Mr. Mosfett?

Greetings from Lake Michigan my esteemed alumni friend!

I had talked to Lonny a while back and heard you were still in the Southwest.

We definitely need to talk... It has been to long. I thought I had smelled some of your "pennies" in some change I recieved the other day!

Ahh, I remember 50-cent cheeseburger Wednesdays. Smurf shirtin' on the student council, and all those Lab Reports (do you remember all that work!)...

I will look you up and e-mail you my phone number! Last I talked with Lonny and D'Lee they were suggesting a reunion (Mark, Lonny, Doug, You, me, and of course the wives... I think we should do it! None of us can probably afford it, but some things in life are worth a credit card charge.).

I had wondered if you were skipping about here since this stuff is right up your alley. So your building guitars now (and I assume you are building your amplifiers as well! Tube and Mosfet, no doubt...).

Great to hear from you!
John Zimmerman

Some things in life are mathematical constants, the rest are mathematical variables. Your life is determined by how you write your particular mathematical equation. JZ, 2001

This is turning out to be quite a little reunion

Come on Lonny, aren't you giving yourself a little more credit than you deserve (mediocreatbest). I would say submediocreatbest. ;)

Enough with the BS, are you going to start frequenting this site
as well? I really hope so.

Sorry John, don't mean to divert this thread but I just couldn't help it! Welcome aboard!

Is the whole class lurking around here?

C'mon Lonny (mediocreatbest?) you were darn near 4.0 in major! I never knew you were an audio-phile (but then again we were so busy doing lab reports, homework, and classes, I guess we didn't have tons of free time...).

Well we should round up Mark, Rhonda, Bates, Hunt and Doug. That would make it a complete reunion.

I will get my rear in gear and give you guys a call... I promise. Its been a really hectic year for Charlann and I.

In fact, I got an Idea... Let me do some checkin'.

JLZ

So your 400W amp needs a 5A fuse at the 12V supply? Hmmm, :scratch:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.