Please allow me to introduce myself

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a man of neither wealth nor taste...;)

I joined this site primarily to be able to view the pics people post around here. I've come across these boards hundreds of times over the past years, whenever the electro-bug would manifest itself.

I'm currently in such a phase, now working on a single ended OTL tube headphone amp based on Russian 6Phi4Pi tubes (one per channel). Previous bouts of inhaling soldering fumes have resulted in a stereo amplifier using 2x6AQ5 (PP in triode mode, using power trannies for OPT's) and a 12AX7 per channel, as well as a guitar amp using 2xEL34 (UL PP using an old Unitran OPT) and 2x 12AX7 built in a scavenged Rickenbacker bass combo.

When not working (currently in academia) or drawing and building ill-informed tube amp schematics, I'm shooting or editing photos or listening to music. My music taste spans a couple of centuries and ranges from baroque to (prog) rock and metal.

I have no training whatsoever in audio technology or electronics. All I know is what my father explained to me about vacuum tube technology and what I find on the internet. With no particular affinity with high-end mathematics, I resort to lots of experimentation and approximation using simple maths to optimize the circuits I build. I never aim for the highest sound quality, but simply try to build halfway decent amps at low to extremely low costs using scrap parts and whatever junk I have lying around.

I'm looking forward to interacting with, and learning from the knowledgeable and experienced users around these boards. I will probably say some stupid, annoying or perhaps even offending things now and then; don't take it personal. It's never intended as such.

Thanks lads. Yeah, we'll probably getting along just fine now, thomas. Or quite the opposite, of course ;)

But let me put it this way: if to any engineering (and audio) issue there is a Western and a Soviet solution, I will consistently admire the performance and reliability of the Western solution, and then proceed to implement the low-cost, cut-corner Soviet one. You might call it laziness, but I like to refer to it as 'being mindful of the law of diminishing returns'.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.