Hello from newbie in Australia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
by way of introduction, I live about 100 kilometres south of Sydney, Australia, and I joined this group due to a growing collection of vintage hi fi equipment that I have no technical ability to maintain!!

The current collection (including some contemporary components) consists of the following:
Thorens TD-160B t/t, MkII Denon AVR-2105 rec/amp, Denon DVD-1910, Accusound ES-60 speakers, Thorens TD-126 t/t, MkIII Sansui G-5000 rec/amp, Marantz CD-45, KEF Concerto speakers, Rogers HG-88 valve amp, Goodmans Axiom 201's speakers (with ARU's), Mission 760i speakers, Dual CS-505 t/t, Technics SL-3300 t/t, and Phodis CE-6000 amp.

Most of these (apart from modern Denon and Accusound stuff) have been acquired with more luck than good management, but I am completely unskilled with the technical side and hope to remedy that.

I'm hoping that you all have the patience to deal with some real rookie questions, and start me on the path to building those skills.

My only DIY effort regarding hi fi has been speakers stands - pvc pipe, timber plinths top and bottom - not a bad result by my standards, but my challenge is the electrical side , and I'm hoping to learn something without blowing up my gear, or killing myself .......yes, in that order...I would probably kill myself anyway if I blew up the Goodmans for example!!

Enough rambling, thanks for the opportunity to chat.

Hodgie

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello Hodgie - and Welcome to diyAudio!!!! :D:D:D

Here is a link to find out a bit about those electron thingies :rolleyes: Basic Car Audio Electronics

Before reading that tho I will give you my standard warning for newbies - it goes like this......... GET OUT WHILE YOU STILL HAVE TIME!!!! If you hang around here you will find yourself spending loads of time learning things technical (which will bore the he** out of your non-technical pals) building up a workshop for electronics and speaker building. I strongly suggest that you line up both a marriage counselor and mental health professional. :D

I strongly suggest that you line up both a marriage counselor and mental health professional. :D
My wife likes it when I rattle the windows with the Hammond H I reworked. Reminds her of her disco dancehall days. She's a fan of Peavey speakers, too. I'm adding some to my HDTV, tinker, tinker. I started learning electronics with the 59 ford car shop manual. The internet is so much more cool.

Thanks to all for the welcome, the info link (great for a dumbie like me), and the relationship advice - all very much appreciated.
To be fair, my wife has been very patient, but considering I only started collecting in the last 2 years, I think she's understandably worried about what the next 20 years might bring!
Cheers all.
Hodgie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.