Hello ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I have been dabbling in hifi for many years. Having retired recently, I decided to pursue my interest in DIY. However, I don't have any skills or knowledge in electronics to talk of but I do like to learn and I like to get my hands dirty!!

Recently, perhaps out of boredom, I decided to really try my hands (and luck) in trying to build a DAC. This will be the first time I am actually building something from scratch!

My existing DAC was not as clear and transparent as I would have liked. I got it years ago, used. Furthermore, with my limited experience, I thought it would be safer too as the voltages are much lower and non lethal – other than the live connections to the TX!

Needless to say, after some initial start-up problems and heart attacks (after all this was my very first build) I was able to successfully put it together (amazingly), with a lot of help from the seller. It was an interesting journey and I learnt a lot from the process e.g. I found out (after hours of sleep deprivation) what a dry joint really is!!!

I think the DAC sounds nice (well, it is definitely better than ‘old’ one) and I am certainly happy with it. I believe this is best DAC I ever heard. It has to be as ‘I built it!’. Right? Ha ha …

Anyway, I think this forum will help me advance my skills. I have been coming here on and off, just reading the posts. There are certainly lots of experts who I am sure I can learn from. One day, perhaps even I can contribute .

Anyway, thanks for reading.

TC

Thanks and good advice. Where I live, the mains are 220V!

As to the next project, I am not sure what it will be but I will contine with the existing one as apparently, I can add another board and turn the DAC into a fully Balanced version. That would be interesting.

I would also like to make a pre amp. Any suggestions?

Best wishes

TC

Welcome to the forums.

All I can say about mains is that, no matter how trivial the work you are doing, unplug it.

What will be your next project?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.