A little about me and some questions for you :) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2010, 08:56 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default A little about me and some questions for you :)

Hi everyone

I have a background in basic electronics. I am an industrial electrician so I'm familiar with all the safety issues involved in working on old gear (early 80's and older). I am interested in learning more about old school audio repair. I mainly want to work with rack mount amps guitar heads and mixing boards. If anyone could suggest some good resources and essential gear I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm currently using a fluke T5-600 DMM and can borrow a fluke 289 logging DMM. I have other basic gear micro screwdrivers, 40w Weller soldering station etc. I would like to buy an O-scope but I don't know what bandwidth to look for or how many channels I would need. If any one knows of a good cheap model that I could acquire from Ebay that would be great.

Thanks in advance
Old 1st September 2010, 09:24 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome!

You want a dual channel scope (don't forget about probes- you'll want two each of 1x and 10x) and at least 100MHz of bandwidth. Delayed sweep seems to be pretty standard. You should be able to find excellent used scopes from people like Tek or Sekusui for just a few hundred dollars.
Old 1st September 2010, 09:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the quick response
Old 1st September 2010, 10:52 PM   #4
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Welcome to diyAudio!!!
These links should keep you busy for awhile!
All About Circuits : Free Electric Circuits Textbooks
Volume VI - Experiments : All About Circuits
Basic Car Audio Electronics
How to Solder
Troubleshooting and Repair of Consumer Electronic Equipment

Lot's of help here online and via PM - don't be shy - just stay safe and try to keep your sense of humor!!

Don't be discouraged when you blow some stuff up - we have all done it - and most likely will let the "magic smoke" outta a few more things before all is said and done.
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

You will also need a good signal generator, 10Hz-1MHz would be ideal. You can get away OK with 20Hz-150KHz. Don't skimp on your scope probes, you won't regret it. Cheap ones just don't cut it.

Hide this!Advertise here!