Not new to this!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where to begin? I'll start a the beginning - I began building speakers 30 years ago at age 15. My obsession lead to working at Speaker City for five years during my time at UCLA. While I was at UCLA I was the Chief Engineer of the radio station KLA for two years. After that I ran my own home installation business for a few years. I started building amps to go with my speakers for customers at that time. I then realized it was easier to work for someone than run a business so I became a broadcast/production/telecine engineer. That is what I have been for nearly twenty years with audio remaining a hobby. I've been a Fox for ten years! Recently, the glow of tubes has warmed my heart so I've been building a few different tube amps and experimenting with different topologies, PP, SE, etc.. I hope some of my experience will be helpful to the community and look forward to learning from all of you.

Mark Pindler

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Mark - and Welcome to diyAudio!!! :D:D:D

Whaaaat? Only 30 years????? :rolleyes:

You will find good use for your knowledge and experience reading long threads that sometimes lead you back to the door you just came out of. OTOH - there are some really great people here that share knowledge and wisdom that is priceless. Separate the wheat from the chaff and you'll be able to cook up some pretty tasty stuff. Can't wait to see what sort of ingredients you will be able to add to the mix - should be interesting.

Welcome Mark!

How is the telecine biz these days? I can't imagine it's thriving. Or is it?
Even though I'm no longer doing telecine, my friends tell me there is a resurgence due to HD. Everyone wants to see the old stuff in HD and if it was shot on film it can be retransfered in HD rather than upconvert the SD. Way back in 1999 I retransfered the original Star Trek series in HD but it has yet to be released on blu-ray. Many series were shot on film until recently (last 4-5 years) as film is the ultimate universal master to any format.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the info. I thought that might be the case, from some reading I'd done, but nice to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak!

I do look forward to seeing a lot of old stuff in 1080p or better. It should look great.
BTW, what resolutions were you using back in 1999? What they call 2K?

2K was available but the data rates were too high to handle cost effectively. We used a SGI Onyx2 for 2K work as it was the only computer that had enough horsepower to even get close to real-time processing. It took a full rack of raid arrays to get 1 hour of record time storage! DaVinci made a telecine controller called a 2K that worked with a Rank HD telecine called a C-reality. I did a lot of beta work with them back in the late '90s. There was no tape medium that could handle 2K so it was either networked(with multiple links to get bandwidth) or downconverted to a D5HD. Panasonic's D5 was the only 1080i deck at the time, Sony couldn't get the data rate needed yet so they came up with the SF or segmented frame (read - crap) format. You're bringing back memories!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
For me too! I remember the D5 format - but it was rare in my line of work. I remember some Sony HD discs from the 80s, but I think they were prototypes only.
And I had an Onyx2 for a time, it was a hand-me-down. Kept the keyboard for years, just a souvenir.

Video has really changed in the past 10 years.
Sorry for the trip down memory lane.....

For me too! I remember the D5 format - but it was rare in my line of work. I remember some Sony HD discs from the 80s, but I think they were prototypes only.
And I had an Onyx2 for a time, it was a hand-me-down. Kept the keyboard for years, just a souvenir.

Video has really changed in the past 10 years.
Sorry for the trip down memory lane.....

Video was analog RGB when I started, timed cables and all. Now it's a computer data stream, cat-6 cables and all.:D
I've got data coming out of my ears! I've got about half a Peta-byte of storage and it's going fast!
Those Sonys were protos for demo of HD picture quality so production would fall in love and want HD. Once they were hooked they found out that it wasn't ready yet!
Those Onyx2s were great for way back then, massive power and buss speeds that are now common place on a desktop! They do make nice bar refridgerators if you gut 'em!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I guess I got started in projecting computer images circa 1985, it was already quite mature.
Things didn't change much until the early 2000s when all of a sudden it really took off. DLP and better pixel mapping really pushed things along.

Most of what we project is now off hard drive, very little tape. Some DVD. We still run analog to the projectors, because it has to go 100s of feet. But it's all done over CAT5 with interface boxes at each end. No more huge RGBHV snakes.

The big hassle right now is aspect ratios. Drives me bonkers. Can't wait for that to settle down. Then there should be a nice plateau of a decade of stability. Except for 3D.

HD and beyond

I'm glad home equipment is finally up to 1080P. I refused to waste time watching analog color TV,I called it "fuzzyvision". I dropped out when Bonanza was the top series, and finally am watching some TV forty years later in the glory of HD. Watched Met opera Carmen this morning at 2AM, the only time KET would broadcast something that steamy in HD. Thanks for all the hard work guys, the electronic media is approaching the glory of film.

I did some beta testing for TI when they were working on the devolping their HD DLP using the C-Cube processor. It was a small refridgerator that is now on a chip! We had one of the first DLP cinema projectors too. That was back in 1999. Sunset Post where I worked was one of the pioneers of early HD in Los Angeles, sadly they are gone.
3D will be the new bane of my existance! It is coming on like a freight train and costs 4X what HD does for equipment. HD costs 4X SD. Like kids at a gaming convention, the execs see it and want it right way but the numbers don't make sense yet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.