Hi from Berlin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,
after lurking here for quite a while and thinking about building speakers for at least 8 years I finally decided to build a simple pair, had a lot of fun and decided to register here.
Being a social scientist I don't really have a background in engineering/woodworking therefore I probably the only thing I will be contributing are questions that have been asked before - but lurking here I got the feeling that out of all the German/English diyaudio places this is the best to do such a thing.
Here is my first, really humble project - a pair of pc speakers with frs8 based on this design (text is in german but plans are pretty self-explanatory) but tuned a little higher:
PC Lautsprecher Projekt - Visaton Diskussionsforum
4783911487_d491bd9acb_z_d.jpg

I built these to find out if I'm able to build enclosures. Since I didn't want to spend too much money built these from scraps of birch ply I got at a local home improvement store - one is mostly 15mm and the other one mostly 18mm - so they are far from perfect but I learned a lot, for example to avoid different thickness material in one box.(of cause I kept the internal dimensions)
They are build using hand tools only, was fun, but I'm not sure if I'll do it without a circular saw again.
But I'm really amazed how they sound, I would have never thought a pair of speakers for 35 Euros could be soo nice.
Now I'm pretty hooked on the idea of building a pair of bigger full range speakers and some frs8 speakers to give to a friend (maybe I should better start a thread on this plan).
By the way I lurked here a lot and I really like the tone around here.
greetings
daniel (almost melting)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello daniel - and Welcome to diyAudio!:D:D:D

There is a looooong thread here about a process named EnABL - a treatment for speaker cones that can help them become a little bit (YMMV) sweeter sounding for not a lot of money. The thread is only about a bazillion pages long and will keep you entertained until things cool off this fall.

Regarding EnABL, I got a question: I was thinking about a small BSC circuit, at least according to my boxsim simulations that should lower treble a little, that is actually one of the minor problems I have with these. In the original German thread some people liked them more with BSC, some without. Do you think the EnABL treatment might help in this area as well and I might not need a filter, or are these things mostly independent. @c2thomas I saw this thread but never really got into it because it seems so looong - and I sweating just sitting here typing, but considering your location I probably shouldn't tell you anything about heat. @Cal I really hope it doesn't get as bad as with bicycles, currently have 5 and enough parts for at least two more and everytime I decide to sell one for space reasons I'll end up building a another one a year later - I can't let this happen with speakers as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.