........'evenin' all...........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm a newish immigrant to Powell River B.C. having spent the first 66 years in UK at a place called Wigan.
I've been interested in HiFi since the pre-stereo days.
In my time, I've had Thorens, (Turntable) SME, Decca FFSS (Arm)Shure, Ortofon,Decca FFSS (Cartridges) Radford, Leak,Quad, (Amps) Wharfedale, Goodmans and Quad (Loudspeakers) Sennheisser HD414 (Headphones).
I now use a variety of inputs to a Sugden pure class A amp (25wpc) and a pair of Quad EL63's with consec numbers which I think with 'see me out' as it were.

I would be interested to know if there are any headphones out there similar to the 414's for clarity and 'openness'
Best regards to all and sundry
Jim.

Welcome Jim. Powell River huh? Big pulp mill, really short river and a short ferry ride from Texada?

Cheers.

Thanks for that mate. The pulp mill is a mere shadow of what it was. Lots of 'politickin' going on at the moment about how much local taxes they are refusing to pay. Powell River is the 2nd shortest on earth at 1/2 mile long. Texada island is 20 mins away on a catamaran type ferry which, as a foot passenger retiree, I get to ride on all day for nothing. Same applies to the Little River Ferry to Vancouver Island 1 hour 20 mins one way.
But it;s just as nice to stay on terra firma here with all the natural beauty and lots of lakes just a few mins away.
(hope I made you jealous:D)
Best regards,
Jim.

Three ferries to the south. Part of the big smoke.

If Powell River is 1/2 mile long, it must have grown a bunch since I was last there.

Great people, great attitudes. One of the few places I know where 2nd place seems like 1st. How long you been there?

If you're in Surrey it would be two ferries?
Unless you need another one across the 'Mighty Fraser' :eek:
When I referred to Powell River being 1/2 mile long I meant the actual river. The (so called) city, extends from Lund to Saltery Bay Terminal and is about 30 miles long (I think).
You're dead right about its 'greatness'. As far as I'm concerned I'll lay my bones here.
We came for a holiday in August '03 and bought the house we still occupy (usually you buy a stick of rock or a hat with 'kiss me quick' thereon !)
Then we set about trying to get permission to live here. It's a long tortuous story which took 2 years.
We set up home in Sept '05 and ran a B&B until we got permanent residency status. We're now well on the way to Citizenship.
If you're ever up this way, let us know in advance and we'll have the kettle on.
Best regards,
Jim (and Christine)

Jim,

Welcome to the forum, welcome to Canada, welcome to BC :)

If you want to take that Ferry to the VI diyFEST maybe we could get Scott to pick you up on the way down.

dave

Thanks for the three welcomes Dave.
We're rather short on both time and money at the moment due to trying to complete our dream retirement rancher just up the road from where we're living. It's unique in that I designed it with a 'listening' room(chris calls it a living room)built to Gilbert Arthur Brigg's (Wharfedale loudspeakers)'Golden Ratio'.
We could possiblt attend next year at the '8th annual'
Meantime keep up the good work and never accept second best.
Best regards,
Jim.

Right, the third one is over to Texada.
I thought the river was about 400 meters.

Thank you Jim (and Christine) the offer sounds great. Will give you plenty of warning to get that kettle hot.

And, as Dave says, if you catch the ferry over to Campbell River, maybe someone can get you the rest of the way down to Victoria for the DIY Fest in August.

Cheers.

EDIT: Typed while you were also.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.