South African student, DIY-lover - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th July 2003, 04:21 AM   #21
JDeV is offline JDeV  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PWatts
JDev,
Welcome to the world of speakerbuilding in a 3rd world country! Soon you'll realize what a frustration it can be. I can give you a few tips that I've learned on the hard way though.
Hi Pierre
Welcome to DIYAudio, I should have said 1st
Thanx for all advice. I am normally a bit over enthusiastic to start with a new project, and in the process make a couple of mistakes, but am learning from them at least. I will go down to Foglar this afternoon and see what old stock he still got that is worth while.
About the tube pre-amp. Are there any specific design you would prefer, specific tubes you fancy? Will you use it mainly for CD or you need a phono section as well? I will start looking/asking around to see what is available. Unfortunately I can only copy, not by any change got enough knowledge to design these creatures. I did however found out where to get what (while building my tube amp). In Paarl for instance is a tube expert, as well as down the street from me - Bothasig. Importing tubes is quit cheap, cheaper then from Mr. Valve in Jhb. Transformers are the only expensive items - the weight thing $$$. I will let you know when I get some circuits.
Old 9th July 2003, 06:13 AM   #22
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to the forum Pierre.

dave
Old 21st August 2003, 11:19 AM   #23
Jozua is offline Jozua  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default The South DIY Loudspeaker builder should get together

Hi

Nice to know there are so many speaker builders in Cape Town.

We should consider linking up with another?

Jozua
Cape Town
Old 21st August 2003, 02:30 PM   #24
Shaun is offline Shaun  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Default Cape Town Speaker Builders

OK

Count me in. Who Else?
Old 21st August 2003, 03:03 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Cape Town Speaker Builders

Shaun

What are you building at the moment ? At this stage I am developing an interest in line arrays and digital crossovers.

It should be nice to see and audition what some of the other Capetonians have made.

If you want mail me privately with your contact details.

Jozua
Old 21st August 2003, 11:14 PM   #26
PWatts is offline PWatts  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Count me in too- at the moment I'm finishing my new reference speaker project- here are some of the specs:

- 2.5way speaker with built-in active sub
- Scan-Speak drivers throughout
- tweeter is D2905/9500 (separate enclosure)
- midbass is 18W-8543 polypropylene (12l sealed enclosure)
- bass is 18W8544 kevlar (16l vented enclosure)
- active sub is 21W-8552 paper (35l vented enclosure)
- heavily braced labyrinth enclosure
- lots of damping with silicone, putty, bitumen sheets, carpet tiles, open-cell foam & fiberglass
- 1st order series crossover for the midbass/tweeter, 2nd order parallel for the bass and 4th order active for the sub
- all inductors & caps from Jensen (paper-in-foil & paper-in-oil)
- AudioQuest Indigo internal wiring

All in all it cost me almost my life savings...hopefully it'll sound good! I'd like to share some ideas & construction tips from other constructors in the Cape Town area. I'm also working on a modified version of the 300W Leach SuperAmp for powering the beast, and a valve preamp. Somewhere inbetween an active sub is also lurking around. That's not to mention my sub/sat system for my PC and 4ch P3A rear speaker also in production!
Pierre

Pierre
Old 22nd August 2003, 07:35 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hi, Jozua

My current project is a 2-way using a cheap Vifa tweeter and a Dynaudio 6.5" midbass driver. I've only just bought SoundEasy, and this will be my first complete speaker project for a long time. I have another 2-way floorstander which still requires a crossover. This uses Seas D27TFF tweeter and a Vifa P21WN-20-08 8" poly cone. But this second one is on hold while I get the first one done.

My first speaker was designed using Speaker Workshop, and was an unexpected success, because the drivers were second-hand. Unfortunately (1) it has been sold and (2) I have not since achieved the same level of success.

I have built four active subs, which were all sold. The amplifier I used is a circuit from Dougls Self. Designed the PCB myself. I use two of these amps in my system at home.

I would like to complete my current crossover before we meet, else I'll only have my amps to show.
Old 22nd August 2003, 07:38 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Jozua, your email address..

..is not accessible from this site. Perhaps you should email me, and I'll send you a reply.
Old 22nd August 2003, 07:51 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default South African DIY loudspeaker lovers

Pierre

I have always considered myself a to be a heavy sound fanatic but I possibly could be in the same league as you.

I would suggest that you consider building the Stan Curtis 60 watt class A amp befotre looking at the Leach amp.

At the moment I am building various ribbon based speakers and once I have the correct "mix" I want to put them into commercial production. At the moment I very happy with my overall sound. The only problem I have is getting hold of high quality capacitors.

I have bought various so called high end equipment and have also build many audio equipment . In time I have come to the conclusion that I derive much more pleasure from my DIY equipment than the commercial units. One can also tweak a DIY amp with much more confidence than a expensive commercial unit.

I use a heavyweight American commercial amp for testing speakers and once I have it sounding right I change it to my DIY amps which to me on the long term sounds much more musical.

We should consider starting a DIY club in Cape Town and do monthly house visits to members houses. I used to be a committee member of the Cape Town Hifi Club (which sadly suffered a slow death with the arrival of home cinema) and it was always nice to get into contact with other members, some who were absolute electronic wizards and could solve a problem in a jiffie. I can still remember how I was nutured into a hifi fanatic by the older club members.

The other benefit was of course that members were always selling equipment amongst each other. In fact that was how I managed to get hold of many equipment I would otherwise not have been able to afford.

If guys are interested in starting a DIY audio club please phone me a/h at 021-5348705 and once we have list of people I will set up a meeting. Weekedays I am usually home from 21H00. If the above number is engaged, please use 021-534-8383.

Jozua

Jozua
Old 22nd August 2003, 07:54 AM   #30
PWatts is offline PWatts  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Hi Shaun,
What did you use as drive units for your active subs? Availability isn't too gratifying if one counts out automotive & proaudio products- or did you find one suitable for home use?
Pierre

Hide this!Advertise here!