G'day from another aussie

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I used to play around with audio and electronics a a teenager but then got into modifying cars. I'm over cars now they're too much of a money pit and I want to get back into audio with music being my biggest passion.
I'm a joiner by trade, I build staircases, so I have no problem building speaker boxes from expensive and exotic timbers.
At the moment I'm looking at building kits, Visaton at this stage, using solid timber to match peoples flooring or furniture etc. or MDF in any colour 2pack epoxy. Do you think they would sell? I have an almost completed set of Alto Lines in solid Victorian Ash.

Is there a minimum post limit for posting urls?

Cheers Ben

Prebuilt cabinets (or even flatpacks, if you have the gear to pre-prepare rebated pieces, so they just need gluing up) would certainly be a welcome option - I guess it depends how expensive it turns out to be.

(obviously not for me, I'm too far away for such a thing to be economical)

My suggestion is that you find yourself a niche a little above the average kit speaker, selling high quality cabinets for designs that are a little hard for the average DIYer to attempt themselves - horns, transmission lines, Fonkens (you'd need to talk to Dave [planet10] about those for a commercial license) and the like. Nearly anyone can knock up a rectangular prism good enough to whack some kit drivers into, but horns are another matter entirely.

I'd rather not do flat packs as I couldn't guarantee someone elses assembly skills. I'm very interested in more complex designs and have built a folded horn and a TL before. I'd definitely look at building other peoples custom designs for them to a professional quality and finish. I don't know a lot about the more technical aspects of speaker design, that's why I've joined this forum, I've learned much already.

These are some solid hardwood Visaton Alto Line I'm nearly finished. Hopefully I can sell them for enough to get a better kit then sell them for a better one and so on until I have something decent.
IMGP1648.jpg

IMGP1649.jpg

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Well well well!

Another Geelong feller!

Welcome to the forums, I am not into kits myself but there is a need for someone to fabricate good multi layer material for boxes and I am looking for someone to cut panels.

A cut to size service is badly needed in this area.

Where are you? Wouldn't mind checking those boxes out, jusst for interests sake.
Regards

Ted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.