Thanks so far! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Member Areas > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to the DIYaudio Community. Introduce yourself here so we can get to know you better!

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th October 2009, 01:46 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks so far!

I'm probably a bit old compared to some. Only relevant in that I can't hear to well.

I have a tendency to be verbose and this will probably not be an exception.

I have a sailboat at a marina on SF Bay and we were just using a boom box for tunes. The boom box went south so I decided to look for a replacement. I saw some class D amps on eBay and decided to check around to see if their claims were accurate which led me here. The primary concerns were efficiency and compact design since you don't need a lot of power to fill a 24' boat. Anyway, settled on the Sure Electronics 15 WattX2 amp thanks to your forum posts.

While I was getting busy I decided to fix my home system up just a bit. Old digitally tuned ~30 Watt amp driving Pioneer CS-G201W speakers. That last upgrade was probably made in 1985 or so when I dropped support for my 8 track tapes.<haha!>

If I am out of line asking any questions in introduction forum please excuse me. There's some cheap Pioneer 12" woofers for sale at Parts Express for ~$42 each that are rated at 60 Watts. They also have some for about double the price with a 150 Watt rating. My original speakers were only rated at ~100 Watt and since I am driving them from such a feeble amp I was wondering if I could get away with the lower cost model or if someone has a suggestion other then Pioneer. It actually wasn't volume that killed the one that broke, dumb drunk blond chick kicked it in when I told her she was spilling beer on it. IOW: I do take pretty good care of my stuff and seldom turn volume up to the level of distortion on anything.

Rick
Old 24th October 2009, 03:06 AM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to the forum. As you might suspect, there's quite a large SF Bay area contingent. No problem asking your question here.
Old 24th October 2009, 03:09 AM   #3
just another
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Rick and Welcome to diyAudio I tend to be verbose also

On the question of the speakers, I'd say the power rating is the least important thing to be worrying about in your case. If you know the cabinet volume of your existing speakers (and port dimentions if they are a ported design) then the best thing to do would be use one of the modelling programs to see how each of the two woofers you have mentioned will perform (simulated) in your existing enclosure.

You should be able to get a rough estimate of the cabinet volume from the internal dimentions, and then maybe subtract 10% for bracing and the driver units themselves

If you have Microsoft excel you can download unibox for modelling, there are also online box calculators and plenty of free programs you can download such as winisd.

If you need to ask more questions the multiway forum in the speakers section is probably the best place

Tony.
Old 25th October 2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Hello Rick and welcome to the forums
Old 25th October 2009, 07:56 PM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Welcome to the forum Rick. You should post your query over in the louspeaker forum. Living on a boat small would probably be a boon. My favorite small....

Click the image to open in full size.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!