Hey all, hope you'll welcome a newbie from up north!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey hey! Its nice to see a forum dedicated to in-depth understanding of audio electronics and amplification! I first started the hobby about 5 years ago when I bought my first car audio head unit. Since then, my appreciation and excitement about the hobby has increased to the point where I'm now in 3rd year Electrical Engineering! After spending oodles of money for signal processing and amplifiers, I figure I could probably design my own for 1/2 the price and twice the performance, let alone gain the confidence and pride of saying "I made that" :)
Anyway, I hope to meet you all and share designs and knowledge about the hobby (obsession)!

Hi 'glyphics, I just joined this place too - it's amazing - the range of people and knowledge. Only looked at diyaudio for the first time yesterday really, and I've been browsing and reading for hours - even about things that are totally irrelevant to my system!

I also have become interested in amps, but I don't really have any electronics knowledge :( I'm starting at the bottom and hopefully today, I am going to solder in 4 additional 10,000uf caps into my sub amp, that'll show it, hehe. :nod:

I must be careful though, my CD player is already in for repair, it broke the day after replacing two caps...

It's just so addictive tho eh?

-Simon

Hey pinkmouse, I would actually reword "youth slang" with "exclusive youth slang". I'm sorry to say but I doubt I'll find anyone on this board who will know what I'm talking about.
Definitive Jux is an underground hiphop label devoted to making some of the most innovative sounding, progressive, and surprisingly intellectual lyricism that is not normally associated with "rap". This label has brought hiphop to the point where it is a very spiritual experience whenever I listen to some of their songs. The emotion that some of the emcees can evoke in the listener far surpasses any other hiphop group from being even close in competition.
Many people will be able to associate "music you can FEEL" with Pink Floyd and the like. For me, it is Definitive Jux. Hiphop to a new level.

Thanks Joe and elizard, CHEERS!
Hey lizard, have you done any projects since you started off here? I was wondering if you know of a place where I could scavenge used components. I'd rather not buy one package of everything at Active Electronics :clown:

Oh yeah, I don't know how many of you keep up with modern electronic music, but there are some excellent artists out there right now. I'm 23 so I haven't really grown out of this type of music but I really find it hard to pull myself away from what I've been listening to for years. And it isn't as if what I listen to is shallow pop music either.

Okay, onto explaining that avatar (picture under my name). Aphex Twin (modern electronic music artist) recently recorded a song in which he created that face in the spectrograph. I believe it was something like a 2-5 second blurb and someone found it by accident when plotting the graph.

SimontY said:
Hi 'glyphics, I just joined this place too - it's amazing - the range of people and knowledge. Only looked at diyaudio for the first time yesterday really, and I've been browsing and reading for hours - even about things that are totally irrelevant to my system!

I also have become interested in amps, but I don't really have any electronics knowledge :( I'm starting at the bottom and hopefully today, I am going to solder in 4 additional 10,000uf caps into my sub amp, that'll show it, hehe. :nod:

I must be careful though, my CD player is already in for repair, it broke the day after replacing two caps...

It's just so addictive tho eh?

-Simon

Hey Simon, thanks for the welcome!
What was your original power supply capacitance? You may or may not notice any changes in your bass response (I assume thats what you're trying to improve).

lol .. winterpeg is north enough :)

hiero: apex twin is awesome :)
i actually managed to reproduce that image w/ a winamp plugin .. quite cool :)

as far as used electronics go .. no clue
next saturday i'm gonna check out a flea market i've heard about on Lagimodiere ..
I was thinking of visiting garage sales and/or pawn shops ..

i got lucky and scored 2 old PA amps .. well "lucky" .. not THAT Much salvageable from them :)

also i'm getting an hp power supply .. might gut that too :)

let me know if you find a good "used" electronics store (parts) .. i'd be very interested
also i'm going to be the first to recommend digikey .. shipping on most parts is negligible, as they charge $8 (no handling on orders over like $32) .. they offer a free catalog, AND the customs is included in the price so no nasty surprises :)

also parts connexion and plitron are good too for online stores :)

btw .. if you're in need of a 200VA 2x18V toroid, there's a guy in winnipeg that's got one for sale :)

also i'm 20 .. i thought i was like 1/2 the age of everyone here
i guess not .. good stuff

also i built (well am finishing building) a gainclone
next project a 1-1.5 watta SE tube amp .. and then Aleph 5 :)

hieroglyphics said:
True, true. I'd never want to live in Churchill :dead:
You're lucky you don't have to deal with our continental climate. One day it will be 25 degrees, the next it could be 5 degrees. Everyday is a guess. At least in BC it is relatively constant.

Thanks for the welcome, Dave!

to strenghten his point ..
there's a low of -1 today (tonight actually) and a high of +19 tomorrow ..
+22/23/24 over the next few days after

-1 to +24 ??!! I wish we had that small of a variety.
I could say without exaggeration that our spread is -35 to +35 (and sometimes lower than -35 with windchill).
I may not be comfortable with the climate but I sure am with our property value! One of the cheapest places to live in Canada.

Eliz, how much is that toroid? I have to start somewhere, might as well make a power supply!

Lets see, what other than hiphop do I listen to..... hmmmm..... ummm...
Well, I do listen to other music, but I'd have to say a wide variety of everything. Artists that have just popped into my head are Weezer, Pink Floyd, Portishead, Massive Attack, Herbie Hancock, and Herbaliser. There are many more but I have a signals midterm tomorrow to study for.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
hieroglyphics said:
-1 to +24 ??!! I wish we had that small of a variety.
I could say without exaggeration that our spread is -35 to +35 (and sometimes lower than -35 with windchill).

That's all... in Alberta i definetly suffered greater extremes... as low as -45 with wind chill to -120 F. As hot as 120 F (we lived in Farenheiht back in those days)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.