Hey all, hope you'll welcome a newbie from up north!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hieroglyphics, the caps in the amp were 4x4,700uf so 18,000uf total. Will take it to 58,000uf, which I hope to notice - not got 'em yet though, still waiting for a lift to the place :bawling:

I just bought the Richard D James album by Aphex Twin, which is rather nice - one or two bits in there go <50hz for the sub ;)

I'm 22 years old btw Lizard, a few young 'uns here :)

"elizard,

I have a 225 va, 18v secondaries Plitron transformer sitting here, waiting to be used. I'm got too much on the go right now. I paid $35 USD for it plus shipping from Vancouver (about half the cost of direct from Plitron). If you are interested let me know offline and we can arrange to meet. I'd like to have a listen to the finished amp though :))

Steve."

his name on here is spind
contact him .. i think he still has the transformer :)

PSU Caps, oh and HELP ME!

Hieroglyphics, I did the caps yesterday, I just tried to memorise all the stuff I'd heard recently including 'Ministry of Sound - Old Skool Club Classics' :) That has some very powerful and rich basslines.

I tested with one cap in, it worked, but I didn't properly listen, I wanted to get the others all done first.... which I did. I carefully checked for polarity so as not to explode the beasties, and powered up to considerable disapointment - it no longer works!!!

The caps presumably work - the power light takes MUCH longer to go out, when you unplug the power. Also, you can hear some residual amp noise through the driver, which changes as you change the volume, phase, x-over etc. However, the hi-level input isn't getting through, at all, it's very annoying.

This is exactly what happened a few days ago when I added some tiny film caps to the originals - except it worked the day after, when I re-assembled it and put it back in the box. No such joy now, and I've checked all PCB connectors and they all seem correct, and nothing seems to be shorting. It's as if some link to the hi-level is broken, or a chip is dead or something, but I just don't know.

Can anyone suggest any possibilities please?

I can attach photos of it all if that helps - I'm desperate now - and it looks kinda cool :)

-Simon :bawling:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.